Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain
Where to source lead ?? - Printable Version

+- Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (http://forums.mlagb.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (http://forums.mlagb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Black Powder Chat (http://forums.mlagb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Where to source lead ?? (/showthread.php?tid=2113)

Pages: 1 2

Where to source lead ?? - Diz9000 - 24-07-2017

Hi,
A friend has kindly shown me how to mould my own balls ( fnar fnar  Big Grin ).
He has let me use his lead fir my first batch of 200, but has told me that for future batches I will have to source my own lead.  He gets his from a club member who works at a scrap metal yard, but a change in job means that will dry up by the end of the year.
So other than buying from the scrap metal yard, any other types of places that I might start enquiring at ?

Many Thanks

RE: Where to source lead ?? - dromia - 24-07-2017

Roof flashing, builders merchants B&Q and such like.

RE: Where to source lead ?? - Diz9000 - 24-07-2017

(24-07-2017, 06:23 PM)dromia Wrote: Roof flashing, builders merchants B&Q and such like.

I was recently told that the roof flashing was no longer made of lead .
Is this not the case ?

Cheers

RE: Where to source lead ?? - dromia - 25-07-2017

Years since I have had to buy lead so I wouldn't know.

RE: Where to source lead ?? - ResearchPress - 25-07-2017

If you're in the midlands and head to the MLAGB Ranges at Wedgnock, Warwick, they sell lead there.

David

RE: Where to source lead ?? - Diz9000 - 26-07-2017

Unfortunately, I'm in Suffolk , shoot at Felixstowe Rifle Club, but something has just sparked a memory from when I first joined the club , of a gentleman coming a few times a year and sifting the sand for lead. As I understand it , it's hard lead not the soft kind we use. But I reckon I can buy some from him and trade it with my hard lead using reloader mates for their soft lead Big Grin

RE: Where to source lead ?? - Greenswylde - 27-07-2017

Hi Diz, I didn't know there was a Rifle club in Felixstowe. I used to visit Rendlesham Road regularly..
However, ALWAYS beware of old water pipe --- In areas were the water was low ph value the lead was alloyed to
prevent erosion which caused lead poisoning .. Another bit of useless information from-OLD DOG, Stay well..

RE: Where to source lead ?? - Diz9000 - 27-07-2017

(27-07-2017, 12:20 PM)Greenswylde Wrote: Hi Diz, I didn't know there was a Rifle club in Felixstowe. I used to visit Rendlesham Road regularly..
However, ALWAYS beware of old water pipe --- In areas were the water was low ph value the lead was alloyed to
prevent erosion which caused lead poisoning .. Another bit of useless information from-OLD DOG, Stay well..

Although we are called the 'Felixstowe Rifle Club ' we are actually just outside in TrimLey St Mary.
Big Grin

RE: Where to source lead ?? - Diz9000 - 31-07-2017

Met a roofer at the scrap metal merchant. He was bringing in off cuts of lead , left over from a roofing job, at the same time I was there to buy some to mould some REAL .54 bullets . Only had £20 cash on me so bought 20kg from him as well as taking his contact details. Hopefully he will become a steady contributor to my lead fund Big Grin

RE: Where to source lead ?? - heelerau - 09-08-2017

My future English son in law is a Roof Lead tradesman and he keeps me supplied with good scrap lead , he is here on our farm down under. Just be aware that some lead flashing is copperized , it has a slightly different sheen. I think it is fine for ball but I would not use it for minnie ball or pritchett. They are allways looking to get rid of scrap for beer money. He is a most worthy acquisition in our family !!