Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain
Beamont Adams repair? - Printable Version

+- Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (http://forums.mlagb.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (http://forums.mlagb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Pistol (http://forums.mlagb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: Beamont Adams repair? (/showthread.php?tid=2145)

Beamont Adams repair? - NippleKey - 30-10-2017

Good day all.
About a year ago I bought two revolvers from a very well known auction house in London. Both had been in a named collection.
As I live in Scotland and couldn't get down to view them, I requested a full condition report over the phone. The expert rang me back and we discussed the Beamont Adams revolvers particularly as there were two and he suggeted I go for the one I eventually bought, I also bought a Deane Adams but only going from the catalogue information and the very good photographs.
For complex reasons, I have only just received them and to my distress, I find both have quite significant mechanical faults (it's much too late to grumble to the auction house, annoyingly).
I can probably make a stab at repairing the Deane Adams myself as it's a simpler mechanism and it just feels like a worn sear nose and/or bent but the Beaumont Adams is; firstly, more complicated; secondly, has a more significant problem and thirdly, is in very much nicer overall condition so I would rather leave it to someone who knows about these things.
So, the question is, do you folk know of anyone who does repairs to percussion revolvers but doesn't necessarily have a digital footprint.
I know of Peter Dyson and others whose names come up on google including some guys over in Newton Stuart who don't answer emails or return phone calls but has anyone any knowledge of chaps who diddle expertly away beneath the radar? It'd be great if one such was in the borders.

RE: Beamont Adams repair? - shootdown1 - 01-11-2017

What is the problem with you Beamont Adams?

RE: Beamont Adams repair? - NippleKey - 08-11-2017

Sorry, didn't know I'd had a response.
Although the revolver is in very good condition externally, the mechanism is at fault. The mainspring is good, as is the trigger pawl and long sear but the engagement with the hammer is problematic. The mechanism operates better in double action mode than single action which suggests to me that the problem lies with the upper sear or its return spring. Could be something else but there's not a lot else going on in there.
As I say, the overall condition is so good that mechanical wear seems an unlikely cause.
I've found that the hammer nose has been filed or sawn down, so there's a possibility that whoever did that has wrongly reassembled it. Maybe it was a film prop at some stage.
The Deane Adams Deane's issue might just be due to inappropriate handling by generations of previous ownners.

RE: Beamont Adams repair? - shootdown1 - 08-11-2017

I have downloaded a drawing of the mechanism in case you don't have one.
I have had one or two problems with my 120 bore ,fortunately the single action now works well ,the problem is the double action. 
The non original v spring, that operates the trigger is not quite the right shape, losing tension before the trigger is fully forward.
Like a Grandfather Clock very small misalignment will stop the gun working properly.
Is the spring (P)  pushing the sear onto the face of the hammer.?
Is the spring (A) and the long sear (b) working freely ?

RE: Beamont Adams repair? - NippleKey - 09-11-2017

This is useful.
I find that there is little or no pressure from spring P and whilst in single action the upper sear will usually engage the half cock bent, it will only engage at full cock if I push the sear down with a screwdriver.
Double action works approx 25% of the time. Wear appears minimal.
I'm not sure about the long sear.
I think your suspicion that springs lie at the root of the problem chimes with my thoughts.

I've found a chap who used to work for a famous Edinburgh gunsmith who likes good quality M/Ls and who's only 35 miles away so I hope the problem should be rectified soon.

I'll post further details when I have them. Will also post a pic.
The avatar, by the way, is a 90 bore Webley solid frame from my small collection.