Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Birmingham Gun Trade - new book
I have just been pleasantly surprised to receive a copy, with the Author’s Compliments, of a book to which I was able to provide some slight help a couple of years ago while it was being researched.<br>This new book is a refreshing change from the normal.  It covers 200 years of the Birmingham gun making trade in an extraordinarily detailed manner concentrating upon manufacturing techniques, machinery and the interrelationship between the many minor trades which combined to produce the completed arm.  The very many original photographs, drawings and other illustrations distributed throughout the text, instead of being pushed together in a single block, make this a very easy book to consult.<br>The importation of American technology, especially in the enormous production of Enfield type arms during the Civil War is well covered and there are extensive pictures of the numerous gauges used.<br>In short THE BIRMINGHAM GUN TRADE by David Williams (Tempus Publishing, Stroud, UK, 2004,  -  ISBN 0 7524 3237 0) 191 pages, priced at 17.99 sterling in softback is a book which all serious scholars in our field must have.  I should prefer to have such a book in hardback which would be well worth the extra in my opinion but needs must, I suppose.<br>It will be stocked by Mike Dingle of Prospect Books whose e-mail is prospectbooks@aol.com<br><br>
W. S. (Bill) Curtis
Always happy to buy a book, this one arrived today and it looks like a good 'un  ;D
Many Thanks, Bill - I've been waiting for a book like this to be written for a  L  o  n  g  while.  Now I just have to find out how I can get it stateside.  The hunt is on!
Try Amazon