Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1858 Tower 2 Band Smoothbore Percussion Musket (Identification?)
Hello All,

I am new to this forum and decided to join as I've had a look on the website and found it very interesting. I have been interested in militaria (especially muzzle loading firearms) for a while now.

I have recently purchased an 1858 Tower Musket at auction and I need some help identifying it. I can't really tell anything from the markings on it, and I've thoroughly searched the internet and haven't found a single one which is identical.

Its main features are:
-2 band
-Smoothbore
-About .65 calibre

From my research, I believe it may possibly be a British Indian P1858 Musket produced for the native Sepoy infantrymen, but I'm not totally sure as there's not many pictures online and they're not all the same.

If anyone could tell me any information at all, I'd be very grateful. I'm especially interested to know what the markings on the lock mean. I was also wondering what the indented circle on the butt of the gun is for...

Thanks very much, here are some photos:

[Image: DSC_0473_zpsi3p9yjoa.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0474_zpsda9vbv5i.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0476_zpsceck7cyx.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0477_zpstgf7fmlq.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0478_zpsg0vcwgdw.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0479_zpsivbwvrdf.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0480_zpsq8suaw6r.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0483_zpscot0nysg.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0481_zps4ernk0iy.jpg]

[Image: DSC_0482_zpsqsiydki4.jpg]
No one else seems to want to reply, so ---. Yes, looks very like the smooth bore version of the Enfield that I have. Mine has been restocked, sometime between the 19th century and a couple of years ago when I bought it.
The sights are typical of the type. Yours is in much better condition than mine was (Bore fouled an rusty). I'll see if I have any pics.
[Image: Enfs10boremuzzles_zpsnkrksmfm.jpg][/URL]

[Image: Enfs10bore%20002_zpscvb8j1bp.jpg][/URL]

Ignore the shotgun on the right. Left is smoothbore, middle rifle, both two band. Probably not much help, but all I have at present.
Hi, Thank you so much for reply. I haven't been on here for a while so I've only just seen it. Yes, the one on the left looks almost identical to my musket, thanks for posting that picture!

I also have another question, there seems to be some sticky black oil right at the base of the barrel, and I'm worried that it might be remnants of the old gunpowder eating away at the bore. Does anyone know a way to remove this?

Thanks
Steam cleaner, or boiling water if you haven't got one. Follow with a bronze brush wrapped in four by two or similar. Oil bore after finishing.
Thanks! I will give it a try
Mate likely as not for issue to native infantry, could also be made up for the civilian market, I had a similar smooth bore which came from a sheep station in the far north of South Australia, looked a lot like a Pat 42, but had a swivel enfield lock (I still have the lock, long sad story about the rest), Was a good shooter with a tight patched ball, shot a lot of rabbits with it as a kid. You should have the bands with the screw head facing the same side as the screws holding the lock in place. If the bore is good , should be a fun gun to shoot both shot and ball.

cheers

Gordon
Mine's a 55'er Big Grin

[Image: sepoy.jpg]
[Image: flycg4.jpg]
Here is my 17 boreSmile
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning.  It's the smell of...........history.