Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyman moulds
Hi all,
Another newbie here, hello from London.

I am shooting PH 3 band Enfield, currently casting Minnies with a borrowed Lyman mould 213. I am aware or 3 other Lyman sizes, would like to try 494 wadcutter.

Is anybody aware of UK Lyman supplier?

Also getting ready a PH .451 with Henry barrel. Lyman has a mould for it so I am after that one as well.

I tried a Minnie Lee mould, for 577, the one we tried is embarrassingly badly designed. Failed to cast a single good one. Put me off Lee as a mould brand.

I am currently with Suffolk Norfolk crowd, very nice there.

Thanks for help.
Ayosha
Hannams Reloading usually carry the Lyman moulds.

See here for my experience of Minie moulds: https://www.full-bore.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=30298
(28-05-2017, 12:01 AM)ayoshak Wrote: Hi all,
Another newbie here, hello from London.

I am shooting PH 3 band Enfield, currently casting Minnies with a borrowed Lyman mould 213. I am aware or 3 other Lyman sizes, would like to try 494 wadcutter.

Is anybody aware of UK Lyman supplier?

Also getting ready a PH .451 with Henry barrel. Lyman has a mould for it so I am after that one as well.

I tried a Minnie Lee mould, for 577, the one we tried is embarrassingly badly designed. Failed to cast a single good one. Put me off Lee as a mould brand.

I am currently with Suffolk Norfolk crowd, very nice there.

Thanks for help.
Ayosha

Hello AYOSHAK,The original LYMAN mould for the P/H .451" HENRY was No.457125DM 520 grn. Needs sizing.(the DM may have stood for DAVID MONK who was heavily involved at P/H with the hammer forging of ALL their M/L barrels.My mould came directly from David.Under the LYMAN No.it is marked 452 on each piece.This may have been the same mould for all the P/H .451" rifles. It has a round nose and 4 canelures on the rear half.
Two other Lyman moulds I used were 451112 430 grn.(Sharps-Bailey ??) OK from 50 to 300yds and 457121 470 grn. which was OK up to 600yds in light winds.112 was used straight from the mould. 457121 needs to be sized down.
All these moulds are fairly easily extended as they are base pour and can have plates of various thickness added with care.
When I shot long range I made my own moulds to size to .450" and paper patched with 2 turns of .002" thich BANK COPY paper to give .458" for my Metford copy at .461"..
Hope the forgoing is of some small help.
 Go well,
   OLD DOG.
DEVA