Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colt Walker.
I have been reading about the Colt Walker and wonder if the reproduction model sold by companies like Krank has the same characteristics as the original one.  By that I mean number of grains of black powder the cylider holds which I beleive went up yo 60 grains.
Once had an Uberti, it held 60 grains and a .454 round ball. Recoil was heavy (and fun). Funny thing was, that the barrel was almost clean after several shots with the big load. On the minus side is the weight.<br>Yours<br>JBW
I've been able to compare an original with a new Uberti.  They appear identical except for markings.  Originals are too expensive to shoot but from shooting a few original non-walker colts, the replicas handle and perform the same. <br>[Image: walkersearls.jpg]<br><br>[Image: walkerdetail.jpg]<br><br>Load performance depends on the type of powder and the individual revolver:<br>Charge with ball/ velocity/ extreme spread<br>55 Goex FFFg                1001 fps      54<br>60 Goex FFFg              1115 fps      46<br>60 Gr./Vol.  Pyrodex P   1221      44<br>60  Gr./Vol. A Pioneer     974      80<br>60 Gr/Vol Swiss FFFg      1278      53<br>55 FFg                             956      46<br>60 Gr./Vol.   PyrodexRS  1045      35<br>
I have seen inoperable solid hunks of rust, missing most of their parts, that were none the less authentic Colt Walker model revolvers.  These were selling for around $100,000!!!!  A fine condition one would be astronomical.

Many people have been duped over the years by fake Walkers.  That area of collecting is really for the experts.
One of the unattractive features of the Walker, original and reproduction, is that the loading lever has a habit of falling down and jamming the cylinder. If you fancy a big revolver, get the later dragoon model repro with the properly designed catch for the rammer.
Actually, the fix is easy, and often seen on the range - even if not period-correct:  A rubberband to hold up the lever while shooting...
Original walkers did not have shiney grips they were dark walnut. the cylinders were not blued as they were running out of time when they were built. Only the barrels were. then on the right side above 1847 there was a stamp U.S.  other than that they function the same. Foot note the original steel was not consistent mettalurgy was not really known then. several different problems from user error to pour metal quality made cylinders erupt. though a good handfull of the 1000 survived and went on in their place in history. Today the metals that are used are a lot better than that of in the past

Loading lever.

A rubber band is not always used is not used by anyone i know of. The most modern fix it to remove the loading lever catch and to file a small groove into the bottom of the loading lever. Another popular fix which is period correct was the leather loop. Most original users would just take a small piece of leather and cut it into a loop. The loop was then used to hold up the loading lever. it was a cheap fix that if the loop broke was easily replaced. today the file on the loading latch usually works. One fella on another forum made up a new piece to hold the latch up.
Didn't the Colt Walker, loaded to the maximum, have the most muzzle energy of any repeating pistol until the invention of the .357 magnum in the mid-1930's?

I've heard the 'most powerful handgun until the 357 magnum' claim, and if it's not true, it doesn't miss it by far.

I believe with a 138 grain roundball and 60 gr of powder, the gun would deliver 1200 fps muzzle velocity, and around 450 ft-lbs of muzzle energy.     A handloaded 45 Colt or 44 Special cartridge could probably have matched or surpassed the Walker.
"Revolver" not "Handgun". Some of the double barrelled "Howda" pistols were more powerful.