Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rusty nipples - Finally free!
I've recently had another go at trying to remove the nipples from my Tatham percussion shotgun, I managed to make some tough nipple keys out of some old sockets, and with the use of an impact driver, both nipples came out!

Now my question is what typical thread size do these nipples have, I have a need to clean the threads out with a tap and get some new nipples, does anyone else have a percussion Tatham? and do they know what thread size the nipples are on theirs? 

I know its a long shot but any help would be appreciated,

- Graysmoke
Powder wad ball cap bang reload
It is a good bet the threads are 1/4 BSF  clean the breech plug threads with a 1/4 BSF tap always make sure you hit the threads square on , if the nipple is good  clean the threads with a wire brush   add copperslip to the nipple threads and   return to the plug .If the nipple is still small it will then be a nipple with a 9/32 BSF thread
Feltwad
Thank you for the advice Feltwad, I got myself some 1/4 BSF taps, and they all were too big, it appears that the thread size is 7/32 BSF, the nipples have very little thread after having been in there a long time so I will need to find some replacements.

- Graysmoke
Powder wad ball cap bang reload