Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's in your bag ??
As you may be aware, I'm a newcomer to the world of muzzle load shooting. I was just wondering what the essential tools you have in your shooting bag/box ?
Currently I have a tool for taking my barrel off, nipple wrench, various cleaning jags, bullet puller attachment for my ram rod, bullet starter, cap loader and a ball bag ( much to my sons amusement lol ).
I guess I'm going to need to get some screwdrivers and pliers ( possibly ??? )

Anything else you think I should add to my box ?

Cheers

Dean
(21-07-2017, 05:29 PM)Diz9000 Wrote: As you may be aware, I'm a newcomer to the world of muzzle load shooting. I was just wondering what the essential tools you have in your shooting bag/box ?
Currently I have a tool for taking my barrel off, nipple wrench, various cleaning jags, bullet puller attachment for my ram rod, bullet starter, cap loader and a ball bag ( much to my sons amusement lol ).
I guess I'm going to need to get some screwdrivers and pliers ( possibly ??? )

Anything else you think I should add to my box ?

Cheers

What you quoted will get you by  you just add has you go along  which will come when you need a trolley to carry it .We have all been there .
Feltwad
A CO2 powered device for blowing out a ball should the need arise is useful - bullet pullers can be difficult to use (and I know of one rifle where the misaligned puller damaged rifling when screwed in). A patch puller is useful - depending on jag and how tight the cleaning patch is, the patch can sometimes be sucked down the barrel. PTFE to wrap nipple threads can ease their release.

David
Research Press - www.researchpress.co.ukwww.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
I always carry a couple of the one-shot eye wash vials.  Reason for this is I shoot matchlock and one day a rogue 'spark' went under my shooting glasses straight into my eye!  It was a weekday at Wedgenock so no range warden to access the first-aid kit.
The chances are that now I carry them I will never need them but it might not be me next time.
(23-07-2017, 04:03 PM)Blind_Pugh Wrote: I always carry a couple of the one-shot eye wash vials.  Reason for this is I shoot matchlock and one day a rogue 'spark' went under my shooting glasses straight into my eye!  It was a weekday at Wedgenock so no range warden to access the first-aid kit.
The chances are that now I carry them I will never need them but it might not be me next time.

Great advice , nearly Blind_Pugh  Cool .  Will add first aid kit , just to be on safe side, better to have and not need than vice versa.

&Researchpress,  I was told about those CO2 blowers but have not been able to find one available in the uk ( yet ),  seen lots of adapters for various muzzle loaders , just not the device itself.  Any ideas where I might get one ?  Saw an advert for a 'saf-t unloader' but the device is no longer on their website.
I got my Co2 gun from a bicycle shop complete with three tyre fittings that work with large and small nipples and touch holes for my flintlocks.
I was going to point you to the 'saf-t unloader' .... Try Pete Starley here: http://www.black-powder.co.uk/saftunloader.htm

David
Research Press - www.researchpress.co.ukwww.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Hi DIZ9000,
My bullet blower is a cycle tyre inflator given by my son who at the time was racing on mountain bikes in UK and OZ.
It is made by GENUINE INNOVATIONS,very compact and has several nozzles. Fortunately as never been needed !!!
Welcome and Best of luck. Your bag will become heavier and heavier until as FELTWAD says you need a trolley,
Go well,
DEVA.
DEVA
Thanks for all the good advice  Big Grin

Over the past few days I have had loads of fun at our club range.  Learning it dark art of muzzle loading  Cool
...Not always a dark art...sometimes there are flashes of inspiration!....

I carry a small set of 'tools' (screwdrivers, pliers etc- just the basic), cleaning wipes, paper kitchen towel and of course ptfe tape for wrapping my nipples...though perhaps I shouldn't mention that here ;0)

Very shortly you may find the shooting box you've just bought is too small..!!!!

Best of luck Jon
MLAGB Website Administrator