Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to source lead ??
(27-07-2017, 12:20 PM)Greenswylde Wrote: Hi Diz, I didn't know there was a Rifle club in Felixstowe. I used to visit Rendlesham Road regularly..
However, ALWAYS beware of old water pipe --- In areas were the water was low ph value the lead was alloyed to
prevent erosion which caused lead poisoning .. Another bit of useless information from-OLD DOG, Stay well..

I get given loads of old roofing flashing and old water pipes. Works fine in all things muzzle loader, as does the sweepings from below the airgun targets from the range although the bits of paper shot from the targets take a lots of burning off. The range lead from the full bore stuff tends to be of mixed hardness and although Great for breech loaders, not really usable in muzzle loaders.
(18-08-2017, 06:10 PM)Des_Gibson Wrote:
(27-07-2017, 12:20 PM)Greenswylde Wrote: Hi Diz, I didn't know there was a Rifle club in Felixstowe. I used to visit Rendlesham Road regularly..
However, ALWAYS beware of old water pipe --- In areas were the water was low ph value the lead was alloyed to
prevent erosion which caused lead poisoning .. Another bit of useless information from-OLD DOG, Stay well..

I get given loads of old roofing flashing and old water pipes. Works fine in all things muzzle loader, as does the sweepings from below the airgun targets from the range although the bits of paper shot from the targets take a lots of burning off. The range lead from the full bore stuff tends to be of mixed hardness and although Great for breech loaders, not really usable in muzzle loaders.

Just be careful with old lead water pipes, not only the alloy but if you cut them with a shear you end up with little lead 'pillows'.  Just make sure there's no air (or spiders) in them as either can cause a catastrophic explosion when submerged in the molten lead.  Not something I have ever done but a local club member found this out quite by accident!  Luckily he wasn't seriously hurt but his pride took a major bashing!
(18-08-2017, 07:50 PM)Blind_Pugh Wrote:
(18-08-2017, 06:10 PM)Des_Gibson Wrote:

Just be careful with old lead water pipes, not only the alloy but if you cut them with a shear you end up with little lead 'pillows'.  Just make sure there's no air (or spiders) in them as either can cause a catastrophic explosion when submerged in the molten lead.  Not something I have ever done but a local club member found this out quite by accident!  Luckily he wasn't seriously hurt but his pride took a major bashing!

This is a very valid point. I've also found water trapped inside bends which would be very very nasty if dumped  into a pot of molten lead. I always put lead like this into a cold pan and bring it up to heat carefully. Even then steam can form in closed pockets. Be careful!
Scrap .22 bullet alloy is good enough, its not quite pure but the difference doesn't seem great enough to be a concern. I have cast ball, REAL and minie and it works fine.
Even very hard alloys CAN be OK for REAL because its not a bullet with an expansion issue and bore sizes do vary. Try it and see.

The problem with harder alloys are they contract more than pure lead on cooling and so projectile diameter is a couple of thou less. That may or may not matter with your bore. We have also used very thin patches (like nylon stocking thickness scarf material belonging to my wife) around REAL bullets to see if a bit of sealing helps and my impression is that it does.

On the other hand scrap bullet alloys generally cast better than pure lead by filling out the mould easier. Casting .577 Minies in pure lead is an absolute B******D unless you get the metal unbelievably hot.

The need for a soft lead ball with a M/L revolver is not that great as long as its not too hard. It cuts to its own size. When I was in the USA a few years back shooting with Civil War re-enactors at Gettysburg I was surprised to see they all favoured conical ball to a man. Round ball was right off the agenda. Not accurate enough was the reason given. I think we have a serious lesson still to be learned there. Powder charge around 20grains.

Patched round ball (rifle or pistol) for single shot really does have to be soft pure lead because the fabric of the patch has to 'engrave' itself into the ball to provide grip but any serious shooter still shooting round ball is off the money these days.

REAL is the new way forward these days but you have to experiment to get it right.

I am so surprised at people who don't experiment. I met a man at Wedgenock last year who had just been shooting the powder charge thrown by the flask they had given him since he bought his pistol some 20 years before. I estimate his charge at about 36 grains. Way OTT for target shooting. My pre-measured 20grain loads were much better but he seemed totally confused. They told him this was the right charge and he was not able process the difference.

I experiment all the time but the trend seems to be inertia. I feel the learning curve is flat and we have a lot to learn if we are to progress.
I agree with Heelerau, lead flashing is OK for ball. I use a lee hardness tester on mine and it comes up at about 8 BHN
, although i do use it in my .451 hawken in a 500g solid base GG bullet, and the same bullet but unsized in No2 musket. A tester is well worth the money if you cast your own but it will not tell you the content of the lead, so knowing the source can be important. I think all casters who have had zinc in their lead will understand.