Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rifle lubes ......
Hey all.

Now that I have managed to get some decent .54cal REALs moulded. I'm looking at making my own lube, ( for pan lubing ? ).  I have come into possession of some beeswax and some paraffin wax. ( from an ex candle maker ).

So I have googled lubes , and ignoring the non muzzel loading ones , lol. There are a heap of recipes out there , but mostly from our American cousins and their recipes call for such things as mink oil, bear grease etc.. I assuming that these ingredients are 'what they say on the tin' and not trade names for commercial ingredients.

Anyway , considering my starting ingredients, ( beeswax and paraffin wax ), any suggestions for lube recipes ??

Cheers

Diz
(11-08-2017, 12:36 PM)Diz9000 Morning Diz, I use a mix of bees wax and veg fat ( trex or crisco ) appx 50/50 as the bears round here need there fat for the coming winter ! If I am pan dipping to fill the grooves in a bullet I add a little more wax to make the mix a little harder so it stays put and if its for topping off the cylinder in a revolver then I use more veg fat to thin the mix so it  will pass thru a large syringe . Paraffin wax in the mix made an unpleasant oily deposit that was harder to clean.......One of my shooting buddies uses various (expensive) branded products from the states and swears by them......I have loads of bees wax from work and spend the cash I save on beer! Wrote: Hey all.

Now that I have managed to get some decent .54cal REALs moulded. I'm looking at making my own lube, ( for pan lubing ? ).  I have come into possession of some beeswax and some paraffin wax. ( from an ex candle maker ).

So I have googled lubes , and ignoring the non muzzel loading ones , lol. There are a heap of recipes out there , but mostly from our American cousins and their recipes call for such things as mink oil, bear grease etc.. I assuming that these ingredients are 'what they say on the tin' and not trade names for commercial ingredients.

Anyway , considering my starting ingredients, ( beeswax and paraffin wax ), any suggestions for lube recipes ??

Cheers

Diz
70% beeswax + 30% vegetable lard. Melt a quantity into a shallow tin, such as a Tuna tin, and dip the bullets. Set aside to cool then wipe the lube from the bullet bases. Store the lube in the fridge. Keep it simple.
Thanks guys,

I will get the wife onto melting and mixing ?
She doesn't like me doing too much in the kitchen lol.

Diz
Buy a cheap compact deep fryer, about £12 from the Factory Shop. One fill will last you about 2 years, Tallow +beeswax and a small amount of candle wax. I put my .577 bullets into the basket and lower into the lub, a lot less messy than a tin.
(11-08-2017, 12:36 PM)Diz9000 Wrote: Hey all.

Cheers

Diz

I use lard, dripping or trex depending on which group you least want to offend and time of year. I add beeswax to the mix in warm weather to stiffen it up. I put my bullets base down in a tin or tray and pour on the lube. As I have a lathe I made some syringe like tools which push down over the bullets and cut them from the lube leaving the groves full. It works well.i can make them in any caliber to order if you want one.
a friend made me a similar syringe device for my .54 cal REAL's
First batch of beeswax and olive oil was a tad 'loose' and tended to slop out of the groves.
Need to try the beeswax with veggie lard ( trex ), and/or reduce the oil to stiffen up the lube.

Since we are currently shooting once a week for a few hours I have decided to lube up approx 20 bullets on the Thursday evening ready to shoot on Friday ?