Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misfires when using patched ball.
Hi all,

After a few weeks of shooting Maxi-ball and REAL's, I decided to try shooting the patch and ball that came with the rifle when I bought it.
I have .530 Hornady ball and .010 pre lubed pillow tacking patch. I loaded the powder 35gns of triple 7 FFG powder the loaded the patch and ball. Couple of shots and I'd zeroed in the rifle so I'm hitting within a few inches of the centre at 25yds. ( pretty good for me lol ).
Anyway after the 5th shot , I had a misfire, cap went off but no boom from the gun ?. Had a problem removing the ball with the ball puller on the ramrod , the rod not being long enough to get a hold of to pull the ball out. Removed the nipple and cleaned out the hole and ( on recommendation from fellow shooter ) dribbled in a small amount of powder into the nipple hole , replaced the nipple, checked that the ball was down on the powder, fitted the cap and boom , cleared the ball ?.
Next week , same thing happened after the fourth shot , again misfire .

My question is ,  what am I doing wrong ?, 
It's been suggested that I use felt pads between powder and patch, ( as many disagreed as agreed )

Any hints suggestion ??? ?

Cheers Diz

You are not cleaning the "hole" properly. How depends on the rifle. Some of them have fairly long and bendy paths from nipple to charge.
Fred
(24-08-2017, 05:12 PM)Diz9000 Wrote: Hi all,

After a few weeks of shooting Maxi-ball and REAL's, I decided to try shooting the patch and ball that came with the rifle when I bought it.
I have .530 Hornady ball and .010 pre lubed pillow tacking patch. I loaded the powder 35gns of triple 7 FFG powder the loaded the patch and ball. Couple of shots and I'd zeroed in the rifle so I'm hitting within a few inches of the centre at 25yds. ( pretty good for me lol ).
Anyway after the 5th shot , I had a misfire, cap went off but no boom from the gun ?. Had a problem removing the ball with the ball puller on the ramrod , the rod not being long enough to get a hold of to pull the ball out. Removed the nipple and cleaned out the hole and ( on recommendation from fellow shooter ) dribbled in a small amount of powder into the nipple hole , replaced the nipple, checked that the ball was down on the powder, fitted the cap and boom , cleared the ball ?.
Next week , same thing happened after the fourth shot , again misfire .

My question is ,  what am I doing wrong ?, 
It's been suggested that I use felt pads between powder and patch, ( as many disagreed as agreed )

Any hints suggestion ??? ?

Cheers Diz

I always snap a few caps on the empty gun be it pistol, rifle or revolver.  Once this is done I wipe the bore and breech end with clean 4 x 2 to pull out the grease/WD-40/oil whatever before loading the charge.  I still get the very occasional misfire but never that often.
It can be an advantage to place a wire pricker in the Nipple and through into the chamber when loading each time to make sure of a clear passage for the ignition flame.