Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SxS 10bore Fowler
Enclosed are a couple of images of a gun which I have just restored . It is a sxs 10 bore percussion built by Deane, Adams , Deane   in 1852-53 whose shop was at 30 King William St and I,New Weston St London The gun only needed a small amount of restoration  which entailed fitting new main springs to the locks , also removing the dirt and grime from the stock but still regain the patina. also not often seen the gun  is fitted with a grip safety.
Feltwad
[Image: 100_1874.jpg]

[Image: 100_1867.jpg]

[Image: 100_1875.jpg]

upload images

how to upload a photo on internet
Thought this thread would have created a bit of interest .
Feltwad
(05-10-2017, 08:05 AM)Feltwad Wrote: Thought this thread would have created a bit of interest .
Feltwad

Yes, it did.  The woodwork looks great.  How do you set about removing dirt and grime without spoiling patina?

And, showing my ignorance, how does the grip safety work?
Evelyn
(05-10-2017, 11:02 PM)ebhvet Wrote:
(05-10-2017, 08:05 AM)Feltwad Wrote: Thought this thread would have created a bit of interest .
Feltwad

Yes, it did.  The woodwork looks great.  How do you set about removing dirt and grime without spoiling patina?

And, showing my ignorance, how does the grip safety work?

To remove the dirt and grime I use a polish and wax remover   and fine steel wool  scrub with the steel wool only light to only remove the grime but leaving the patina and then dry and apply a coat of stock oil ,let  it dry  rub it off with rough cloth and apply another coat, repeat this until the desired finish is required.
Has to the grip safety this comes in several forms  which locks the triggers until the grip on the stock wrist is pressed , enclosed is a image of a early type .
Feltwad

[Image: 100_0776.jpg]
Thanks, interesting.
Evelyn