Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do we get so few postings?
We have a great Forum, but it gets so few postings. Any ideas as to how we can get more active?

Jim
Not sure how to get things more active. Muzzle Loading in the UK is a relatively small sport, fewer will want to get involved with forums...... many who join seem to have a couple of specific questions, which once answered they don't post. There's also many other forums for muzzle loading and black powder shooting sports.

As editor of the MLAGB's magazine I suffer the same difficulties in enticing articles for publication.

David
Research Press - www.researchpress.co.ukwww.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Yes, David, I still owe you an article. don't I?  Smile Well, rest asured that it IS in the research stage.

BLACK POWDER is a great publication: I just wish we got more action on the Forum. It confuses me, since reading the magazine gives me the impresion that the shooters like to chat.

Maybe we should plug the Forum in the magazine?

Jim
Jim I would say that a lot of members are not article writers ,more so the shotgun side which covers collecting,clay shooting and game shooting.
As for the forum most of the older generation are not computer minded.
Feltwad
Ahem,Ahem, excuse me. I shall be renewing my driving licence next year, but like to think I am reasonably computer literate.
Ageism raises it's head, mutter, mutter. Wink

On another matter, I have seen some poorly made pistols proofed by Birmingham and Liege, but have acquired the worst example I have yet seen. Looks as if it was made by a blacksmith rather than a gunsmith. I doubt it could ever have been fired, the mechanism being poorly designed and made. I was therefore surprised to find, on cleaning it, that the barrels (it is an over and under) and breech, were proofmarked with a crown over a U. German. :-?
It is a great forum, worthy of more traffic and posts.  There's an awful lot of us "Yanks" here, as well as "Ausies", "Kiwis", and "Canucks" who love shooting the muzzle-loading Enfields, Gibbs rifles, and just about anything that goes, "Boom" leaving a big cloud of white smoke in it's wake.  True, most of us not living on the British Isle can travel to shoots and events held there, or visit the fine military museums located there, (no matter how much we would love to).  Prior to internet forums we had to write to people like, K.R. Miller at the National Army Museum reguarding questions on Enfields, I suppose some people get an answer and don't post again until they have another, just like the days of post. 

The place does seem a bit more formal than some other forums I belong to, heck on the castboolits website, we're more like family, (yep, we spell it that way on purpose).  There's English speaking members from over the globe as well as a few French, Germans, South Americans and what have you.  I check in here most everyday and look at the newest posts, (if there are any) at least, but often find little or nothing to comment on.  I have several Enfields and love em dearly, but any-one interested in hearing about a CSA Fayetteville rifle?
I am sure David will agree with me that we are more than happy that so many people look at the site from so many parts of the globe.

I know we may sound rather formal but for me, that is just the way I write.  I feel we that we are largely dependent upon receiving questions and the response from members to these questions is, on the whole, pretty good; but without the questions, the board tends to go quiet.

W. S. (Bill) Curtis
i like the forum and check it a couple of times a day but do not normally sign in (i should do though as i have only just seen a message that as a few days old) but being new to muzzle loading and shooting in general (only realised that muzzle loaders were still used at have a go stand at harewood last summer).
and am now member of mlagb and yorkshire p/burners, and have just got licences, so do not know enough (yet) to answer questions but it is a good place to find out and learn about old guns and the things that go with them, as it is the tools, gadgets and history that goes with them that makes it so much more enjoyable than using modern guns
Quote:I am sure David will agree with me that we are more than happy that so many people look at the site from so many parts of the globe.

I know we may sound rather formal but for me, that is just the way I write.  I feel we that we are largely dependent upon receiving questions and the response from members to these questions is, on the whole, pretty good; but without the questions, the board tends to go quiet.

There's nothing wrong with writing in clear, proper English, Bill.  It beats the alternitave where some-one writes a run-on post with no capitals, no puncuation, and lumps it all in one big paragraph.  No, what I was getting at was what you hit on, the board tends to be quiet until some-one asks a question.  Maybe my using the word, formal wasn't quite right.

How about some basic, "how to" articles that invite comments?  I'm quite sure we can all learn a few new things from one another, I've been shooting muzzle loaders since 1972 and I can certainly stand to learn a few new/old things.  After all those years I'm just now getting into rock-locks and round ball shooting...And yeah, by the looks of things, I'm gonna need help. Wink
For a start, and if you have not done so already, go to David's other site http://researchpress.co.uk/ where you will find a great deal of the very things for which you are looking.
W. S. (Bill) Curtis