Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danish Remington Rolling Block
These rifles came into the US in the 70's.  They were originally 11.7 x 51 caliber.  Whoever imported them relieved the bore a bit so they would accept the 45/70 bullet.  I have only shot this rifle once, with factory ammo, which it handled just fine.
[Image: RollingBlock006.jpg]
Here is a detailed picture of the rifle's action: [Image: RollingBlock003.jpg]
These Danish Rolling Blocks may be the best Rolling Block  there is.  One can buy newly made guns, of course, but I don't like their looks.  The triggers of these old rifles can be rough, but this trigger isn't bad.  The RB rifle must have been designed to shoot off hand, because they seem to fit so well when fired that way.  They have a low comb and are uncomfortable, at least for me, to shoot prone or off of the bench.  I think these guns were made in the US and exported.  All were made in 1867 and are marked as such.
It must have been 20 to 30 years ago when most of these Remingtons  Rolling Blocks  came into the uk when the Uk Law allowed obsolete calbres to be kept without a certificate. They were both varied rimfire and centre fire calibres  ,the centre fire cartridge was brass with a Berdan primer.Most of these rifles were made at the Remingtons  Factory in the US  and exported to the Danish army although some were military and some sporting rifles
I did purchase one for my collection it was a sporting model
with a 31inch barrel with six grooves and a fast twist.The half stock was Birch and the leaf sights were 50 and 100yards The Remingtons  address was stamped on the breech block back strap and reads as follows
Remingtons 1LION N.Y U.S.A.  Pat May 3rd ,Nov 15th 1864  April17th 1866
Enclosed are images

[Image: P1010009-5.jpg]

[Image: P1010002-13.jpg]

[Image: P1010007-5.jpg]
Well, I've got a little egg on my face this morning.  My Danish RB has no Remington markings on the upper tang.  Instead it is stamped: kjobenhavns toihuus 1879.  It's engraved in all caps but the program here won't allow me to type them as such.

Therefore, I conclude that a factory in Denmark was licensed by Remington and they made their own.  Stock looks walnut.  It appears to be a very well made weapon.k

My comments about these rifles being made in the US in 1867 must be incorrect. Who'd a thunk it? Big Grin
Enclosed is a more plain image of the Remingtons Address

[Image: P1010005-13.jpg]
Hmmmmm; Feltwad.  From the picture it looks like you nailed your rifle to the fence.  You should be more respectful to the old gun,  Old Man. Wink 

Yeah I saw it hanging on the nail in another picture, but still..... 
I must admit I will have too give the fence a coat of paint.
Dead I,

I found that mine shot far more accurately with the bullet seated well out. 

It's been a long while, but I was probably shooting a 435 grain lead bullet and 26 grains of Accurate 5744 or VitaVouri - VV N120 (heresy! - a fast smokeless powder and a light load to match early ballistics) with a 3/4 inch cube of dacron quilt filler on top of the powder to hold it in place.   It was a pleasure to shoot and easy to clean.

The key seemed to be getting the nose of the bullet well down the throat where they reamed it.  Don't remeber if I was able to engrave the lands, but I would have if I could have.

Yeah, Pat it is a shame that they reemed them to take the 45/70.  All one had to do was to trim the case a bit.  But what is done is done.  I have only shot mine once or twice and that was a long time ago. I didn't save the target and don't recall how it did.  I can see how loading the bullet out to touch the lands is a good idea.

When I peek down the bore from the breech end it's easy to see where they reemed it out.