Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Springfield 45/55 Carbine model 1879
Quote:yes. We have a couple of repro trapdoors in our club. I used to have a Danish rolling block which would beat them any day of the week. Nowadays I shoot the black powder comps with a Mauser 71 / 84.
Fred
In the 70's a bunch of those Danish Rolling Blocks were imported to the US.  Cost was $14.50 and the bayonet was an additional $1.75.  Original caliber was 11.7x51 Danish Rolling Block.  The importer relieved the barrel a little to accept a 45/70 shell. I bought one of these and still have it along with the bayonet, which is a very long and heavy affair. I have NEVER shot it!  Bore is like new. I've been shooting these old trapdoors instead.

Let's do a thread on the Rolling Block.  I'll take pictures of mine (I like taking pictures, can you guess?)  Other guys on the Sainted Isle who shoot then can chime in and discuss their loads etc. Maybe I'll be notivated to shoot mine!
Quote:yes. We have a couple of repro trapdoors in our club. I used to have a Danish rolling block which would beat them any day of the week. Nowadays I shoot the black powder comps with a Mauser 71 / 84.
Fred

How do the members like the repro trapdoors?
We have two sorts of members: the ones who will try, if possible, to shoot originals and the ones who don't care.
I have heard no criticism of the repro trapdoors. The 45-70 round has a big following in the UK and in our club. Shooters of originals like to adapt dies, brass and bullets.
There are some other advantages in shooting originals, if they are in calibres classed as obselete by the UK government and were made before 1939 they can be purchased without the need for a licence. You add them to to your FAC when you want to shoot them and take them off if you want to give up shooting them. Looking for a Rolling block? If you want a new one, you need authority to purchase and that includes the calibre. Originals, you can search the antiques fairs, buy a nice one, find out what calibre it is, source the dies and mould and THEN licence it---much better.
Fred
I'm sorry that you folks have to jump through all of those hoops just to shoot an old gun.  Americans read about the regulations that you have to adhere to and we break out into a cold sweat.  I am glad that your government makes as exception for shooting original guns.  I doubt many banks are going to be robbed by a guy using a trapdoor rifle. 

I'll break out my Rolling Block and photograph it.  Good old ones used to be cheap and easy to find.  People made lamps out of them!  Are many of your club members shooting the Mauser 71's and 71/84's?  You said you are.  I've shot my 71, but never the 71/84.  The rifling is very different between the two guns.  I had some Canadian ammo and shot it all up.  I am the only person who I have ever seen shoot one of these old BP Mausers.  I wonder why because they are great shooters.  That 71/84 is heavy as lead!  Except for a chip in the toe of the stock mine looks new. Cost $24 in 1972.
My 71-84 is in mint condition and shoots so well that I have gradually abandoned Martini-Henrys, Rolling Blocks and am considering giving up shooting my Snider. There is one other 7-84in use in our club plus a 71,and a whole lot of Sniders, Martinis etc.(http://www.stourportonsevernpistolnrifleclub.co.uk), but you see more at Bisley in the Trafalgar and Historic Arms meetings. it is a very easy rifle to load for: Bertram do the brass, which is very good if you anneal it before use and Lyman make a good .446 mould. I won the 200yd off-hand vintage military rifle with mine at the last Trafalgar meeting.
Fred
Good shoot'n thar Feltwad.  I've been struggling to removed lead from my 50/70 Sharps.  Got some out and made my gunroom stink so that my wife is thinking about moving out!  (not really).  I've got the Rolling Block and a 71/84 that have fantastic mirror bores, so I should just shoot them.  The 71/84 mounts well and is heavy!  Center of balance is well forward which would make it a natural for off hand shooting.  I have a 71 too.  It's bore is very different from that of the 71/84. It has deep wide grooves.  The 71/84's grooves are more shallow and narrow.

Problem is I need to select one gun and then work up a load for it.   
My trapdoor carbine that I usted to start this thread is a model 79 but has an 84 breech block, so it's a amalgamation of several models and not a fine collector piece.  Anyway, I like it.  It looks right from two feet. 
Those of you who know trapdoors will recognize that the trapdoor on my 79 cartine is a later door.  It is also marked 1884, so it is not a prime collector's piece.  It is fun though. 
A "Trapdoor" Springfieldis just one of those guns I can't do without.  Mine is an M-1884 rifle made in 1889 with the Buffington rear sight, nice shooter's bore and the icing on the cake is, it came with an original type II pistol grip, ( "To be issued upon request of officers, or men for target shooting.").  I love em!
Here's a picture of my great uncle, Henry in his Spanish-American War uniform and U.S. M1884 Springfield rifle.

[Image: picture003yv.jpg]