Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Springfield 45/55 Carbine model 1879
I have to tell you Mr. Boulton, that I'd love to be able to shoot with your club.  It sounds like such a wonderful group of shooters shooting interesting rifles.

We should start a thread about our BP Mausers.  I'm far from home, so I can't take pictures of mine, but I do believe that those old Mausers are wonderful and over here anyway, almost forgotten. 

Many, I think most of the soldiers who fought in Cuba were armed with the trapdoor and not the Krag.  For many years trapdoors were dirt cheap in the US.  My first one, a Cadet, that I still own, I paid $54 for in about 1963.  The gun store had a dozen for sale.  Today you still see them, but they run from $600 for dogs to over a grand for a nice one.

Trapdoors are wonderful shooters and that Buffington rear sight is wonderful.  It even figures in drift, most sights don't.  (My Artillery Luger does!), so does the Krag's sight (some of them).
Many trapdoor carbines were ruined by people shooting .410's in them.  They made nice little shotguns. 
"Custer's Last Stand" 1st Model 1873 Springfield Carbine -    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NoNxG2z07c

Springfield 1873 Carbine - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Springfield_Model_1873

"The rifle cartridge was designated as ".45-70-405", indicating a .45 caliber, 405-grain (26.2 g) bullet propelled by 70 grains (4.5 g) of black powder. It had a muzzle velocity of 1,350 feet per second (410 m/s), making it a powerful and effective load for the skirmish tactics of the era. A reduced-power load of 55 grains (3.6 g) of powder (.45-55-405) was manufactured for use in the carbine to lighten recoil for mounted cavalry soldiers. This cartridge had a correspondingly reduced muzzle velocity of 1,100 feet per second (340 m/s) and a somewhat reduced effective range."

Little Big Horn - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_t...le_Bighorn

Archaeology, History and Custer' s Last Battle - http://www.amazon.com/Archaeology-Histor...0806129980

YMO&HS

Bear
Bear: I visited the Custer Battlefield just yesterday!  I've been there maybe a dozen times.  Viewed several trapdoor carbines of the battle, some relics and others that fell within the proper serial number range.  Here are some pics.[Image: NorthDakotaTrip2008012.jpg]
Here is another:[Image: NorthDakotaTrip2008010.jpg]
I have been to the Custer Battlefield many times.  Yesterday I didn't eve walk out onto the field, since I was just there, but I did attend a private museum at the Garryowen store and say many great things.  I didn't take any pics.  Had a nice debate with an Indian fellow, who was a Crow and lived at the reservation there. 
The soldiers fired either carbine rounds of 45/55/405 or 45/70/500, but to tell you the truth I'm not sure they loaded the 500 grain bullet that early.  Here are some rounds fired during that conflict:[Image: oldbullets001-1.jpg]
Obviously, Custer blundered rather badly at The Little Big Horn! A little known part of the story is:

The Democratic National Convention was meeting in St. Louis, Missouri at the time.

Supposedly Custer had been approached by several influential Democrats that were Delegates to the Convention. The "plan" was that Custer would win a quick victory over the "Injuns" at The Little Big Horn.

With the news of the Victory in all the newspapers, Custer's name would be entered by acclamation to gain the Democratic nomination for President.

So, that might account for Custer's reckless behavior. He could not wait for the other columns to join his troops, because that way, "Custer" would not get credit for a victory.

Anyway, as things turned out, Custer could not be nominated for President because he was dead. Recall that ONLY dead Democrats can vote, not run for office.
Quote:While it probably doesn't mean much to Englishmen, in debates over here one cause one can lose teeth over the Battle of Little Bighorn. Was Custer good or bad, right or wrong, smart or clueless? 

I don't think there is a similar counter in English history that lights people up like this battle with Indians.  I don't think the English come to blows over Isandlwana.    

Custer lost. Easy.  Big Grin