Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
.380 LONG
I am just getting back into shooting (by the end of this year I will at looong last have stopped organising meetings for others).
I have several .380 LONG Rook rifles in that part of my collection --- one H&H sidelever, a Tranter SIDELEVER (Colin Greenwood does not show this in his excellent book) and a snap action double by Venables, Oxford ---  came from the manor house at Fawley (nr Wantage) where I was brought up!
I would welcome any advice as to reloading for these --  thanks!!!
I started off with cut-down 38 Special cases for this calibre, but I found that the loose fit of the cases in the chamber resulted in significant blow-back with ejected cases being black around the necks. The chronograph revealed that this was causing wide variation in velocity with the light loads used, so I changed to 38 S&W cases and the small difference in OD cured the problem. Groove diameters in 38 Long rifles are all over the pace. If yours are around .370 to .372 inches, you may get best results with a 38 special hollow based wadcutter bullet. Greater groove diameters and you will need the correct healed bullet. I use an Accurate Arms mould which is superb.
3.0 grn of Bulleye usually works.
Fred