Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brass Flintlock Pan Primer Measure
This brings up a question.  I generally get better ignition in a flinter if I barely fill the pan.  If I fill it full, it burns longer and the delay is longer.  I find that just enough powder to make an explosion is best. 

Any comments?
Your surmise is quite correct. The pan should never be filled and neither should the touch-hole (the vent). The vent should be clear of the powder and should catch the blast of the first ignition of the prime which will be strong enough to pass through the vent and into the main charge.

Some time ago test were made in a special rig with ultra fast photography and this showed exactly what was happening including a view down the short test barrel. The quantity and force of the priming flash through the unobstructed vent was an eye opener.
W. S. (Bill) Curtis
Your surmise is quite correct. The pan should never be filled and neither should the touch-hole (the vent). The vent should be clear of the powder and should catch the blast of the first ignition of the prime which will be strong enough to pass through the vent and into the main charge.

Some time ago a series of tests were made in a special rig with ultra fast photography and this showed exactly what was happening including a view down the short test barrel. The quantity and force of the priming flash through the unobstructed vent was an eye opener.
W. S. (Bill) Curtis
Quote:This brings up a question.  I generally get better ignition in a flinter if I barely fill the pan.  If I fill it full, it burns longer and the delay is longer.  I find that just enough powder to make an explosion is best. 

Any comments?

Good point, what we normally do is fill the pan about 2/3rds the way and you tap the lock side a couple of time to push the priming powder to the right so there is a gap between the touch hole and the powder. When it ignites the flash basically jumps in the touch hole. You may have to try different amounts of powder with this technique, but once you have it down it is quick to do in the field.

Here is high speed film of flintlock going off (plus lock video).

http://www.blackpowdermag.com/featured-a...-speed.php

YMO&HS

Bear