Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flintlocks
One of the hardest things for a beginning flintlock shooter to get use to is the flash going off in the pan. Most if not all shooters will flinch and pull the shot. For me and how I instruct the new flintlock shooters is to constantly think (say) "front sight" over and over. I mean from the time the rifle is shouldered you will probably say it 10-15 times in your head before you pull the trigger. Also while doing this your concentration is on the front sight and before you know it, the shot is off and you don't flinch. After doing this for a while the flash just does not come into play while shooting.

[Image: HPIM3087.jpg]

[Image: HPIM3092.jpg]

[Image: HPIM3097.jpg]

[Image: HPIM3084.jpg]

[Image: HPIM3088.jpg]

YMO&HS

Bear
I use very, very light triggers on my flinters.  While I have several original muskets that require two men and a boy to yank the triggers, my replica Kentucky rifle can be adjusted to go off in a slight breeze.  This is what I normally shoot.

I find that as I concentrate on the trigger, not wanting it to go off too soon, I tend to ignore the flash in the pan.  My greatest problem is with frizzens that aren't hard enough to produce a nice shower of sparks.  Also a loose clamp down on the cock can have a negative effect sparking.

I have an 1816 Springfield original flint.  Some armorer in the distant past welded a steel file to the frizzen.  Man that thing sparks!  Never misfires if I do my part.

When I was married and had just a touch too much bubblie I decided to show the folks how nicely it fired and how neat it looked shooting it in the dark.  So I poured a nice dollip of powder down there, rammed in some newspaper, primed it and stepped out the back door.  Boom! It shot about six feet of bright yellow fire our the muzzle.  Everyone applauded.

Then the cops arrived.  I offered them some champaign.  They refused.  Then some left over cake.  No takers.  One of my friends who was there badged them and they left.  I guess they figured that I wasn't a terrorist and could do no real damage with an antique flintlock.  That was 31 years ago.  Today I'd be looking forward to a life in jail.   
Dead I,

Your comments about the welded steel file on the frizzen is something I have seen on a lot of older flintlocks. You are right they spark like a house afire.

My trigger pulls are light and crisp and over the years I prefer shooting single triggers over double sets. I like to control the trigger when shooting. Something I did when I shot long rifle matches.

My Musket that I posted has a Pedersoli lock which is exactly what you described, two men and a boy to yank the trigger. I had a gunsmith give the lock the once over and now I am very happy how it goes off.

YMO&HS

Bear