Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
regal admiral with head of a dog.
Can someone tell me anything about this print?  It is an original. Measures 20"x24".  I think I've seen others like this, but not in the US. Frame looks original.  I found this in a  junk shop for little money.  I love it however.  I sense English humor here[Image: ArtWork004.jpg].    
I like it too but the uniform is of a French Marshal from the time of Napoleon III 1853-1870 and I have no idea of the identity of the Marshal the artist is having a dig at.  One would need to be a Frenchman of the period to get the point of this one.
W. S. (Bill) Curtis
Quote:I like it too but the uniform is of a French Marshal from the time of Napoleon III 1853-1870 and I have no idea of the identity of the Marshal the artist is having a dig at.  One would need to be a Frenchman of the period to get the point of this one.
I thought phido looked like he was from Nelson's navy.  I guess not.  French?  I'll have to do more research.  The fellow who owned it was a collector of naval art.  He died and  his daughter dumped his collection for pennies on the dollar.  I bought several of his things, but this is by far the best.  He cracks me up!  But I do tender him a salute, after all one salutes the uniform, right?