Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain

Full Version: Help in IDing this longarm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hiya Folks
A friend on mine recently bought this percussion longarm (I using that term as I'm unsure exactly what it really is)

Any assistance is gratefully received:

[Image: 24468231617_2d31e4947b.jpg]

This is a view of the top

[Image: 25463498638_11366bf8ed.jpg]

These are the markings on the underside

[Image: 25463502808_228c729ef7.jpg]

And this the the butt the show the stock-stamp that emerged during cleaning. The image isn't that good, but seems to show two crossed sabres in a circle about the size of a £2 coin

[Image: 27554953759_87320fdcce.jpg]

I first wondered if it was a conversion to percussion,

It is around a 12 bore (its the same size as my India pattern Bess)

If there are any other pictures you want, just ask
It looks to me like a trade gun. I am no way an expert so don't take what I say to be anything more than a friendly suggestion.
If I am correct they were made, mostly in Birmingham, and sold for export to the colonies as budget firearms.

World Wide Arms were re- importing them and selling them about 30-40 years ago. I bought one from them but sold it on again a few years later. As I recall they had 3 grades, junk/wall piece was something like £35, best was about £55 but still not a shooter.
Basically it is an inexpensive commercially made single barrel percussion shotgun made up using an old british military barrel.
A commercial gun made up from military parts, barrel looks like it is from a Pat 1842 has it still got its front sight? I had a full stock version as a kid, with the same sights. It came from the store room of a sheep station in the far north of South Australia. It was sill loaded with shot. Guns like this could be used with either ball or shot, and would have been common here in Australia during the late 19th century out in the bush on farms and stations. Good for hunting or defence and fairly affordable. No doubt set up in Birmingham.