Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain

Full Version: Under hammer pistol
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Having recently Joined a different club I have started to become interested in shooting black powder in addition to free pistol and air pistol. I have been looking at buying a second hand Jim Greathead  percussion target pistol. I am told they are no longer made, does this mean if something in the pistol breaks there are no longer spare parts available or are parts simple enough to be made if needed by a competent gunsmith? Thank you.
(05-04-2018, 08:14 PM)stuarta Wrote: [ -> ]Having recently Joined a different club I have started to become interested in shooting black powder in addition to free pistol and air pistol. I have been looking at buying a second hand Jim Greathead  percussion target pistol. I am told they are no longer made, does this mean if something in the pistol breaks there are no longer spare parts available or are parts simple enough to be made if needed by a competent gunsmith? Thank you.
 Whilst I don't have any experience with Jim Greathead pistols, have built 2 pistol and 4 rifle underhammers of the Billinghurst design.  I would say that in the unlikely event that  any part were to break, they would most likely be easily made by a competent gunsmith as the design is really simple (that's the attraction).
(05-04-2018, 10:18 PM)J-Team Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-04-2018, 08:14 PM)stuarta Wrote: [ -> ]Having recently Joined a different club I have started to become interested in shooting black powder in addition to free pistol and air pistol. I have been looking at buying a second hand Jim Greathead  percussion target pistol. I am told they are no longer made, does this mean if something in the pistol breaks there are no longer spare parts available or are parts simple enough to be made if needed by a competent gunsmith? Thank you.
 Whilst I don't have any experience with Jim Greathead pistols, have built 2 pistol and 4 rifle underhammers of the Billinghurst design.  I would say that in the unlikely event that  any part were to break, they would most likely be easily made by a competent gunsmith as the design is really simple (that's the attraction).

Thank you J-Team, I hoped that would be the answer, as soon as my variation is back I will be looking for a Greathead pistol
Hello I’ve just been looking through Mr Starleys Firearms list (http://www.blackpowder.co.uk) for something else but I did spot he has two Greatheads for sale,maybe of interest?
Hi Gus
Peter Starley in my nearest gunshop that has a full range of black powder bits and bobs, as soon as my FAC is back from Thames Valley Police I plan to visit his shop as I also have been looking through his stock list (Aladins cave for shooters). Thank you for the heads up about the pistols.
I have a .32 calibre Greathead here (250 outside Bisley Camp)  --  part of the deceased estate of the late "Yogi" Winter.