Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain
PEDERSOLI QUEEN ANNE - HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE - Printable Version

+- Muzzle Loaders Association of Great Britain (https://forums.mlagb.com)
+-- Forum: General Category (https://forums.mlagb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Pistol (https://forums.mlagb.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: PEDERSOLI QUEEN ANNE - HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE (/showthread.php?tid=2178)

PEDERSOLI QUEEN ANNE - HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE - ROWLEY JACK - 25-02-2018

First of all, as a new member, hello to all.

Secondly, does anyone have experience of the Pedersoli Queen Anne pistol? I have only recently acquired this and am having problems getting charge to ignite. With a blank charge it ignites every time, but with a ball and patch loaded - nothing.

Pedersoli state that this is .50, and so recommend a .490 ball and 0.010 patch. Trying to load with this ball/patch is, to say the least a struggle. Loading is far from smooth, and impossible to control passage of ball and patch because so tight. Suspect end result is a compacted powder load. On Friday at the range, it took two of us to manage to extract a ball.

I have just read on another forum where someone posted to the effect, that having measured the bore, he got a reading of .492 not .50 and, as he rightly remarks, there is no way that a .490 ball with a 0.010 patch is going to go down.

Can anyone help or throw light please?

RE: PEDERSOLI QUEEN ANNE - HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE - ROWLEY JACK - 26-02-2018

"On n'est jamais servi si bien que par soi-même"

Charles-Guillaume Étienne

RE: PEDERSOLI QUEEN ANNE - HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE - ebhvet - 28-02-2018

(26-02-2018, 04:05 PM)ROWLEY JACK Wrote: "On n'est jamais servi si bien que par soi-même"

Well, in no way do I qualify as an expert, but until a helpful one comes along I can offer some suggestions on the lines of "this is what I would try".
Firstly, get a micrometer and check that the balls really are .490. It's not unknown for them to be mislabelled.
Secondly, try using a .005 patch. That might make enough difference.
Thirdly, try using a lubricated naked ball.
Fourthly, see if you can get a suitably smaller ball. The next size down commonly available, as far as I can see (might be wrong) is .462, which is really too big  a jump down, but with a .015 patch it should fire, and you will get an idea of what's going on.
There is something you can do, I am told, to shave a thou or two off ball diameter, though I have never tried it. Put some balls in a tumbler with sharp sand. Keep checking the diameter with a micrometer. If you try this and it works, let me know!
Sorry, no quick answer, but I hope this helps.

RE: PEDERSOLI QUEEN ANNE - HELP AND ADVICE PLEASE - ROWLEY JACK - 28-02-2018

(28-02-2018, 03:40 AM)ebhvet Wrote:
(26-02-2018, 04:05 PM)ROWLEY JACK Wrote: "On n'est jamais servi si bien que par soi-même"

First of all, thank you for taking the trouble to reply to my request - it is appreciated.

I have managed to source .005 patches though with difficulty; it seems that few people make or market them now. Have also managed to source .480 ball made by Hornady but, again with difficulty; no-one in the UK stocks them so have had to get them from a dealer in Germany. As you rightly remark, the next size down that can be acquired in this country is .462.

Don't have access to a micrometer but will try to find someone who has one.

Again, my thanks. Will let you know how things develop.

Lee