This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WTB: American Civil War rifle/carbine parts
My Merrill is now fully functional, after freeing the lever plunger from the breech. Was rusted over the years, but with lots of pb blaster soaking, baking at 250 for 15 minutes, then tapping with a 3' x 1/2" steel rod, she broke free. Had to heat up the lever several times to re-shape her, and she's now latching to the lug just fine. Need minor tweeks to its contour, but that can wait.

Anyone have wood/buttplate screws with 13/32" (.406) head diameter and 17/64" thread diameter. Screw threads were rusted in the wood, and had to use an extractor on one and drilling small holes around the top tang screw to remove them.

Does anyone have American Civil War parts on this forum? Need front and rear sights for the Merrill (3rd model), plus the brass band. Barrel/receiver/lever/plunger/buttplate all have 8/43 assembly numbers, whereas the lockplate/hammer/bridle/sear/saddle bar have 4/43 assembly numbers. Would the 4/43 numbers be for 2nd model surplus, with 8/43 numbers be for 3rd model? Trying to figure out why parts have different assembly numbers, as I was told the rifle was all original, and haven't seen anything that would make me believe these parts were not together for 150 years.

I'm also taking interest in Spencer and Burnside carbines to restore. Picked up four small display cases with CW era artifacts. Primary was the mint Sharps pellet primer tube with dowel. What I didn't know was that one case included a mint condition Burnside bullet with cartridge, plus some dug bulelts.

PM if you do parts, parts, parts, as I'd love to find a connection in the UK. I could also be your US connection (eyes/ears) for UK-related militaria parts here (Enfield, Whitworth, Martini-Henry...).

Eric

Messages In This Thread
RE: WTB: American Civil War rifle/carbine parts - by cougar67 - 03-05-2018, 06:20 PM