This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Two Restoration
Enclosed are a couple of restoration of local gun makers by James Rowntree of Barnard Castle  and Robert Booth of Durham City
Feltwad
Rowntree 6 bore live pigeon gun
[Image: 100_1662_zpsnbozkjas.jpg]
A 12 bore single barrel percussion gun by Robert Booth , Durham City
[Image: 100_1667_zpsh6fczylh.jpg]
Very nice Gordon, Thanks for sharing!
Quote:Very nice Gordon, Thanks for sharing!
Thanks Demonwolf444It is always good to see that there is still members interested in restoring our gun heritage
Feltwad

A D/B 6 bore restored  two months ago
[Image: 100_1640_zpsz9wikks5.jpg]
Gordon as you know i am passionately interested!  - These forums have been rather quiet recently...

I spent Saturday morning prepping the blank i had spare for that "Smith" s/b percussion gun.

The blanks good and dry english walnut but reasonably decent stuff. I have have been sat on it for yonks but it was fairly warped so just spent saturday morning with the plane squaring it up; not strictly necessary but i prefer to start from a solid foundation; i think it will be a while till my work allows me to get my teeth into it properly.

Ill be looking through your pictures of S/B percussion guns to get the right flow and lines as i have no Single barrel back action lock guns in my collection to take inspiration from.

Ill take photos as i go and post them on these forums when I'm done and await your judgement!
Quote:Gordon as you know i am passionately interested!  - These forums have been rather quiet recently...

I spent Saturday morning prepping the blank i had spare for that "Smith" s/b percussion gun.

The blanks good and dry english walnut but reasonably decent stuff. I have have been sat on it for yonks but it was fairly warped so just spent saturday morning with the plane squaring it up; not strictly necessary but i prefer to start from a solid foundation; i think it will be a while till my work allows me to get my teeth into it properly.

Ill be looking through your pictures of S/B percussion guns to get the right flow and lines as i have no Single barrel back action lock guns in my collection to take inspiration from.

Ill take photos as i go and post them on these forums when I'm done and await your judgement!
Demonwolf 444
If you need any help with the dimensions for a single barrel stock just give me a ring.
Feltwad
(25-03-2017, 11:05 AM)Feltwad Wrote: Enclosed are a couple of restoration of local gun makers by James Rowntree of Barnard Castle  and Robert Booth of Durham City
Feltwad
Rowntree 6 bore live pigeon gun
[Image: 100_1662_zpsnbozkjas.jpg]
A 12 bore single barrel percussion gun by Robert Booth , Durham City
[Image: 100_1667_zpsh6fczylh.jpg]
Enclosed are images 
Feltwad
[Image: 100_1664.jpg]

[Image: 100_1667.jpg]

photos uploader
Gordon,

You don't know me from Adam, but just wanted to ask if you could possibly re-post the first photos in this thread?
You say local makers, so presume you are from that area?
I'm from Ormesby area. we farmed there until we lost land to development. (Have a gun by Smythe, Stockton & Darlington)
Been in Grandmother's land since '84. (Canada)
Good to see you are giving these lovely old arms the kiss of life!
I too have a pile to work on, but some are Very sad cases indeed! Winter is my play -time when the ground is frozen and can't do land -work.

Your gun I see photos of looks a lovely specimen. Nice to see a good mahogany case and all the accoutrements as well! What did it need in the way of restoration?

Thank you for sharing the pictures
All the best,
Richard.

Gordon,

No clue how my reply to this topic wound up half way up this thread... Very sorry!

R.
Enclose is a image of a sxs 6 bore fowler
Feltwad

6 bore Fowler
[Image: 100_1634.jpg]
More pictures to come, Gordon?

One shot isn't enough. (of the gun , that is!)

Richard.

OK, I added a reply below your 6-bore photo, and it comes out further up the page.
What don't I know about posting here?
Pukka Bundook definitely not a Cleveland or Teesside name you mentioned Smythe who had a shop at Darlington and Stockton he also had a shop at Middlesbrough ,he was known has gun maker of the north and made first class sporting guns , I did a lot of research into the history of this gun maker ,enclosed is a 20 bore sxs hammer gun by him .
Feltwad