This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Two Restoration
(03-11-2017, 01:44 PM)Pukka Bundook Wrote: More pictures to come, Gordon?

One shot isn't enough.  (of the gun , that is!)

Richard.

OK, I added a reply below your 6-bore photo, and it comes out further up the page.
What don't I know about posting here?

Smythe  sxs 20 bore hammer gun
[Image: 100_1371.jpg]

free image upload api

(03-11-2017, 08:18 PM)Feltwad Wrote:
(03-11-2017, 01:44 PM)Pukka Bundook Wrote: More pictures to come, Gordon?

One shot isn't enough.  (of the gun , that is!)

Richard.

OK, I added a reply below your 6-bore photo, and it comes out further up the page.
What don't I know about posting here?

Smythe  sxs 20 bore hammer gun
[Image: 100_1371.jpg]
Smythe Hammer gun
[Image: 100_1375.jpg]
free image upload api

Feltwad
Lovely gun, Gordon. Very elegant little thing!
I like the detail on the fences very much.

Who made the locks?
Can you at some time show a close-up of locks?

Great grandfather bought the Smythe at the estate sale of C Arthur Head, Hartburn Hall. He got it for my grandfather's 21is B day in 1917. I still have it of course!
SLE though so maybe not of interest here. Very fine fences on that one too.
Have the case as well marked to C A Head and his address. Hartburn Hall long gone I think. Always wondered what happened to gun number 2 of the set.
Did think of looking up "Matched Pairs at New Elvet if I remember right!
Have an old John Blissett, C-fire from pin -fire. Best locks by Jos Brazier, Ashes. Fantastic locks and although old and a bit worn, locks are as new and that gun is Magic to me! Got it when I was 16, trqaded a new "Harrier De-lux for it. Bloke I traded with thought I was mad! (And I thought He was!) That was in 1984.
I used to worry I'd wear it out. Now I know it'll wear me out. Cylinder bores and a lovely gun. Had to file up the hammers myself, as a blacksmith had converted it and the hamers were rough.

Sorry for ramble!!
Richard.

Gordon,
Forgot to say "Pukka Bundook" isn't me it was my first Snider -Enfield;
I was given a very sad Snider, no lock, mortise broken away, shoe beaten so much the block couldn't fit. jammed open. Barrel bent...
Beat shoe open, found a lock, spliced wood and inlet lock again, had to shorten barrel as it was stretched at acute bend.

Though, "This must have been a good and well made gun to be so abused yet able to be put back into working condition"...............so when I was thinking of a screen name years ago Pukka Bundook came to mind,.....Hindi ..Pukka ."Good, Proper, well made" and Bundook, ,..."Gun /Rifle".
My daughter last June, used Lazarus as we call him, to place second behind her dad, in the Colin Clark memorial shoot, at our annual Victorian Rifleman shoot, here on the farm in Alberta. Range is 150 yards at Hythe target.
Rambling again!!

BTW surname is Hare.
Richard.
(04-11-2017, 06:30 AM)Pukka Bundook Wrote: Lovely gun, Gordon.  Very elegant little thing!
I like the detail on the fences very much.

Who made the locks?
Can you at some time show a close-up of locks?

Great grandfather bought the Smythe  at the estate sale of C Arthur Head, Hartburn Hall. He got it for my grandfather's 21is B day in 1917.    I still have it of course!
SLE though so maybe not of interest here.  Very fine fences on that one too.  
Have the case as well marked to C A Head and his address.  Hartburn Hall long gone I think. Always wondered what happened to gun  number 2 of the set.
Did think of looking up "Matched Pairs at New Elvet if I remember right!
Have an old John Blissett, C-fire from pin -fire.  Best locks by Jos Brazier, Ashes.  Fantastic locks and although old and a bit worn, locks are as new and that gun is Magic to me!  Got it when I was 16, trqaded a new "Harrier De-lux for it.   Bloke I traded with thought I was mad!  (And I thought He was!) That was in 1984.
I used to worry I'd wear it out. Now I know it'll wear me out.  Cylinder bores and a lovely gun.  Had to file up the hammers myself, as a blacksmith had converted it and the hamers were rough.

Sorry for ramble!!
Richard.

Gordon,
Forgot to say "Pukka Bundook" isn't me it was my first Snider -Enfield;
I was given a very sad Snider, no lock, mortise broken away, shoe  beaten so much  the block couldn't fit. jammed open. Barrel bent...
Beat shoe open, found a lock, spliced wood and inlet lock again, had to shorten barrel as it was stretched at acute bend.

Though, "This must have been a good and well made gun to be so abused yet able to be put back into working condition"...............so when I was thinking of a screen name years ago Pukka Bundook came to mind,.....Hindi ..Pukka ."Good, Proper, well made"  and Bundook, ,..."Gun /Rifle".
My daughter last June,  used Lazarus as we call him, to place second behind her dad, in the  Colin Clark memorial shoot, at our annual Victorian Rifleman shoot, here on the farm in Alberta.  Range is 150 yards at Hythe target.
Rambling again!!  

BTW surname is Hare.  
Richard.

Enclosed are images of the locks  which are the small back action locks 
Feltwad
  [Image: 100_1935.jpg]

[Image: 100_1936.jpg]
That's a bonny looking little gun, Gordon!
Thank you for the pictures.
Easy on the arm when going for a walk 'round.
Was writing my last reply too late last night;
Told you I got the Blissett in 1984 . It was 1970 I got it! (Wish I Had been 16 in '84.....) LOL.

Forgot to ask,
Did Aleck Thomson take over one of Smyth's gunshops in later years?

Aleck used to come out to the farm on Normanby Road. Quite pals they were.
(04-11-2017, 02:02 PM)Pukka Bundook Wrote: That's a bonny looking little gun, Gordon!
Thank you for the pictures.
Easy on the arm when going for a walk 'round.
Was writing my last reply too late last night;
Told you I got the Blissett in 1984 . It was 1970 I got it!  (Wish I Had been 16 in '84.....)  LOL.

Forgot to ask,
Did Aleck Thomson take over one of Smyth's gunshops in later years?

Aleck used to come out to the farm on Normanby Road. Quite pals they                                                                             
Ward Thompson Junior did have a shop in Dovecote Street Stockton I think his son Alex took it over but before that Ward  Thompson Senior was at 11 Corporation   Road  Middlesborough
I did buy cartridges from them called the Oakleaf
Feltwad

[Image: P1010001.jpg]

Gun from the top Askey Bedale, Thompson  Middlesborough, Rowntree Barnard  Castle . Unknown, Teasdale Durham City
Feltwad
Lovely group there Gordon! The Henry Jones a top reminds me of my Blissett.
Is it a converted pinfire? the fences look like it may be.
Wasn't Aleck prior to Ward Thomson? Wasn't it "A Ward Thomson" as well one time?

I think I still have a few Oakleaf cartridges about. Hull Cartridge Co "Three Crowns " as well.
Also one or two, "Especially loaded for A Ward Thomson" Blue cases if I remember right.

Have an old Pape pinfire as well Make cases out of C-fire for it.
Will have to look up how to attach photos here.

More detailed photos of the above would be welcome Gordon, as and when!

All the best,
Richard.
(04-11-2017, 03:34 PM)Pukka Bundook Wrote: Lovely group there Gordon!  The Henry Jones a top reminds me of my Blissett.
Is it a converted pinfire? the fences look like it may be.
Wasn't Aleck prior to Ward Thomson?  Wasn't it "A Ward Thomson" as well one time?

I think I still have a few Oakleaf cartridges about.  Hull Cartridge Co "Three Crowns " as well.
Also one or two, "Especially loaded for A Ward Thomson"  Blue cases if I remember right.

Have an old Pape pinfire as well  Make cases out of C-fire for it.  
Will have to look up how to attach photos here.

More detailed photos of the above would be welcome Gordon, as and when!

All the best,
Richard.

Another Stockton gun by Williamson of Workhouse St  Stockton 
Feltwad
[Image: 100_1939.jpg]

[Image: 100_1945.jpg]
Pape sxs Percussion
[Image: 100_1310.jpg]
You Are good lad, Gordon, posting me all these fantastic old guns to look at!

That Williamson has incredible stub -twist tubes. It Looks a lot better than "Workhouse Street " sounds. :-)
You have a beautiful finish on that Pape stock. Lovely gun and congrats on it.

Do you know Ormesby well?
Family on granny side had Hansell's butcher's shop, where Hintons is now. (Or was 35 years ago!)
Our farm was Spencerbeck, on Normanby Road.
(05-11-2017, 03:43 PM)Pukka Bundook Wrote: You Are good lad, Gordon, posting me all these fantastic old guns to look at!

That Williamson has incredible stub -twist tubes.  It Looks  a lot better than "Workhouse Street " sounds.  :-)
You have a beautiful finish on that Pape stock.  Lovely gun and congrats on it.

Do you know Ormesby well?
Family on granny side had Hansell's butcher's shop, where Hintons is now.  (Or was 35 years ago!)
Our farm was Spencerbeck, on Normanby Road.

Lock area of the following hammer guns
Feltwad

Teasdale  Durham
[Image: P1010008.jpg]
Rowntree Barnard Castle
[Image: P1010010.jpg]
Askey Bedale 
[Image: P1010012.jpg]

Close Up Of Williamson Breech area 
[Image: 100_1943.jpg]

quick image uploader
Bonny locks there Gordon.

Very nice indeed. Thank you for the photos. I like the big tall hammers on the Teasdale gun!