This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to source lead ??
Hi,
A friend has kindly shown me how to mould my own balls ( fnar fnar  Big Grin ).
He has let me use his lead fir my first batch of 200, but has told me that for future batches I will have to source my own lead.  He gets his from a club member who works at a scrap metal yard, but a change in job means that will dry up by the end of the year.
So other than buying from the scrap metal yard, any other types of places that I might start enquiring at ?

Many Thanks
Roof flashing, builders merchants B&Q and such like.
(24-07-2017, 06:23 PM)dromia Wrote: Roof flashing, builders merchants B&Q and such like.

I was recently told that the roof flashing was no longer made of lead .
Is this not the case ?

Cheers
Years since I have had to buy lead so I wouldn't know.
If you're in the midlands and head to the MLAGB Ranges at Wedgnock, Warwick, they sell lead there.

David
Research Press - www.researchpress.co.ukwww.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Unfortunately, I'm in Suffolk , shoot at Felixstowe Rifle Club, but something has just sparked a memory from when I first joined the club , of a gentleman coming a few times a year and sifting the sand for lead. As I understand it , it's hard lead not the soft kind we use. But I reckon I can buy some from him and trade it with my hard lead using reloader mates for their soft lead Big Grin
Hi Diz, I didn't know there was a Rifle club in Felixstowe. I used to visit Rendlesham Road regularly..
However, ALWAYS beware of old water pipe --- In areas were the water was low ph value the lead was alloyed to
prevent erosion which caused lead poisoning .. Another bit of useless information from-OLD DOG, Stay well..
DEVA
(27-07-2017, 12:20 PM)Greenswylde Wrote: Hi Diz, I didn't know there was a Rifle club in Felixstowe. I used to visit Rendlesham Road regularly..
However, ALWAYS beware of old water pipe --- In areas were the water was low ph value the lead was alloyed to
prevent erosion which caused lead poisoning .. Another bit of useless information from-OLD DOG, Stay well..

Although we are called the 'Felixstowe Rifle Club ' we are actually just outside in TrimLey St Mary.
Big Grin
Met a roofer at the scrap metal merchant. He was bringing in off cuts of lead , left over from a roofing job, at the same time I was there to buy some to mould some REAL .54 bullets . Only had £20 cash on me so bought 20kg from him as well as taking his contact details. Hopefully he will become a steady contributor to my lead fund Big Grin
My future English son in law is a Roof Lead tradesman and he keeps me supplied with good scrap lead , he is here on our farm down under. Just be aware that some lead flashing is copperized , it has a slightly different sheen. I think it is fine for ball but I would not use it for minnie ball or pritchett. They are allways looking to get rid of scrap for beer money. He is a most worthy acquisition in our family !!