This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What ball/bullet are you throwing down range ?
Currently I have access to patched ball ( as they came with the gun) and Maxi-ball ( as a fellow shooter has the mould ). Someone has suggested I try REAL bullets. ( i.e. I buy the mould lol )

I have recently been schooled in the art of casting my own maxi-balls, 3 hours later with a break for coffee, I am the proud owner of 275 lumps of shaped lead  Big Grin should keep me going for a few months.

I have had differing opinions with the maxi-ball, some say to lube others say not to. Advice please.

Also other than the REAL bullets what others are worth trying ? Considering we only shoot at 25-50m.

And whilst talking about lubes ?  Is it best to buy an off the shelf muzzle loading lube or make my own , if so any hints on the recipes/procedure involved.

In fact any hints on bullets, lubes, patches etc greatfully received.

And one final ( for now ), the rifle I bought belonged to an American gent who brought over here from the states, then sold to me via an RFD.  Now in amongst the gear we're a few sabot rounds of expanding ammo. Again different opinions have been given. Some say that it's illegal for me to have others suggest that a recent change in law has over ruled that.

I'm pretty sure the sabot rounds will never be used as I am a target shooter and not a hunter as the previous owner.

Cheers for now

Dean
I would grease the maxi balls with a mix of beeswax and unsalted lard. I use 5 pts by volume of beeswax to 1 part by volume of unsalted lard on my minne' bullets. for round ball I generally use spit patch (saliva)