This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Misfires when using patched ball.
Hi all,

After a few weeks of shooting Maxi-ball and REAL's, I decided to try shooting the patch and ball that came with the rifle when I bought it.
I have .530 Hornady ball and .010 pre lubed pillow tacking patch. I loaded the powder 35gns of triple 7 FFG powder the loaded the patch and ball. Couple of shots and I'd zeroed in the rifle so I'm hitting within a few inches of the centre at 25yds. ( pretty good for me lol ).
Anyway after the 5th shot , I had a misfire, cap went off but no boom from the gun ?. Had a problem removing the ball with the ball puller on the ramrod , the rod not being long enough to get a hold of to pull the ball out. Removed the nipple and cleaned out the hole and ( on recommendation from fellow shooter ) dribbled in a small amount of powder into the nipple hole , replaced the nipple, checked that the ball was down on the powder, fitted the cap and boom , cleared the ball ?.
Next week , same thing happened after the fourth shot , again misfire .

My question is ,  what am I doing wrong ?, 
It's been suggested that I use felt pads between powder and patch, ( as many disagreed as agreed )

Any hints suggestion ??? ?

Cheers Diz

You are not cleaning the "hole" properly. How depends on the rifle. Some of them have fairly long and bendy paths from nipple to charge.
Fred
(24-08-2017, 05:12 PM)Diz9000 Wrote: Hi all,

After a few weeks of shooting Maxi-ball and REAL's, I decided to try shooting the patch and ball that came with the rifle when I bought it.
I have .530 Hornady ball and .010 pre lubed pillow tacking patch. I loaded the powder 35gns of triple 7 FFG powder the loaded the patch and ball. Couple of shots and I'd zeroed in the rifle so I'm hitting within a few inches of the centre at 25yds. ( pretty good for me lol ).
Anyway after the 5th shot , I had a misfire, cap went off but no boom from the gun ?. Had a problem removing the ball with the ball puller on the ramrod , the rod not being long enough to get a hold of to pull the ball out. Removed the nipple and cleaned out the hole and ( on recommendation from fellow shooter ) dribbled in a small amount of powder into the nipple hole , replaced the nipple, checked that the ball was down on the powder, fitted the cap and boom , cleared the ball ?.
Next week , same thing happened after the fourth shot , again misfire .

My question is ,  what am I doing wrong ?, 
It's been suggested that I use felt pads between powder and patch, ( as many disagreed as agreed )

Any hints suggestion ??? ?

Cheers Diz

I always snap a few caps on the empty gun be it pistol, rifle or revolver.  Once this is done I wipe the bore and breech end with clean 4 x 2 to pull out the grease/WD-40/oil whatever before loading the charge.  I still get the very occasional misfire but never that often.
It can be an advantage to place a wire pricker in the Nipple and through into the chamber when loading each time to make sure of a clear passage for the ignition flame.