This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Game Shooting Season
November is  when game shooting gets into full swing  both pheasants and partridge will now be strong on the wing  showing some good high shots .Shooting with black powder be it muzzle loader or breech loader is worth 1 pheasant shot with black powder to several shot with nitro 
Are there any members who shoot game with black powder lets have your views ? 
Feltwad
I have, but not much these days as over here in Canada there is less opportunity.
I used to shoot ducks and woodies over the laid corn with a single or double when we still lived over there.
Used ivy leaves as wads, so I didn't set the field on fire.
Then yes, pheasants and partridges as well, and I think I can remember every bird I got with the double flint!
It was magic.
Over here I have shot with the flint more than the detonater I think. No pheasants though some partridge , ruffed grouse and ducks, but now we need bismuth for the wildfowl and its awfully pricy.
Made a copy of a Griiin fowling piece some years ago, and it is very satisfying to bowl an old crow cleanly with it. Crossing shots seem easier than I would have thought, but maybe the 44" barrel helps retain swing.
Have hunted bigger game (Deer, and such) with a flintlock rifle for many years but that is off topic here.
Wish I was back home in a way. That was real shooting. Wonderful days we had.
Regarding your question;
I can't work up much enthusiasm for shooting anything with a modern gun, and yes, One whatever with black powder is better than a sack -full with nitro.

Richard.
There does not seem to be any members who are game shooters out there  , it seems the shotgun forum is dying a death.
feltwad
I look at at quite a few forums and many seem to be quietening. Quite a few years ago email lists were buoyant, then there was a gradual migration to web based forum being more in favour. Today a lot of discussion groups can be found on facebook - perhaps people are now moving more to 'social media' than forums? ...or maybe they're all out be shooting! Smile

David
Research Press - www.researchpress.co.ukwww.facebook.com/ResearchPress
Firearms, long range target shooting and associated history
Hello David,
trust all is well.

Yes, it can get lonely around here!

Reminds me of young Ebeneezer Scrooge when he was the only one left at boarding school!
I'd give a lot to be back home for a shot at the odd pheasant or duck. Woodies as well! Magic it was.

Best wishes,
Richard.
Had my first driven pheasant and partridge day on the 18th,the weather was cool but fair with little wind . This was a black powder day using sxs hammer guns with eight guns shooting and loaders were allowed.
The bag was a three figure number but the cartridges shot was considerable more
Feltwad
(19-11-2017, 07:11 PM)Feltwad Wrote: Had my first driven pheasant and partridge day on the 18th,the weather was cool but fair with little wind . This was a black powder day using sxs hammer guns  with eight guns   shooting and loaders were allowed.
 The bag was a three figure number but the cartridges shot was considerable more
Feltwad

Images of our black powder driven day taken 
Feltwad

Pheasant Flush
[Image: IMG_0376.jpg]

Taken a High Crossing Pheasant
[Image: IMG_0363.jpg]
Today is the last day of the game shooting season ,The big estates and their keepers will now be preparing for the coming season with keeping vermin to a minimum making land ready for new game crops and the usual jobs for a successful season .
Feltwad