This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swiss OB Issues
Hi Folks,
I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues to those highlighted below with the normally excellent Swiss OB priming powder.
But first things first and I need to state that I use a great deal of Swiss OB in my flint shotgun, it is stored along with my Swiss 2 powder in a dry room in the standard explosives box. 
When you use a lot of anything you get to know its characteristics and in the case of the OB priming it is very free-flowing, and extremely fast burning. My latest 250g bottle was totally the opposite, it would not flow, and was slow-burning. I have broken up any lumps, emptied the bottle spreading the powder thinly on a tray and gently warmed it just in case for some inexplicable reason it was damp, even though the bottle was brand new. But even after all this the powder would not even flow easily through a large funnel when returning it to the bottle.
The only superficial differences I can see is the bottle, where a label with the word ‘special’ has been stuck on the front which I have not seen before on a 250g bottle, and the powder doesn’t ‘glisten’ and is rather dead-looking.
(04-06-2018, 10:42 PM)Mantonman Wrote: Hi Folks,
I was wondering if anyone else has had similar issues to those highlighted below with the normally excellent Swiss OB priming powder.
But first things first and I need to state that I use a great deal of Swiss OB in my flint shotgun, it is stored along with my Swiss 2 powder in a dry room in the standard explosives box. 
When you use a lot of anything you get to know its characteristics and in the case of the OB priming it is very free-flowing, and extremely fast burning. My latest 250g bottle was totally the opposite, it would not flow, and was slow-burning. I have broken up any lumps, emptied the bottle spreading the powder thinly on a tray and gently warmed it just in case for some inexplicable reason it was damp, even though the bottle was brand new. But even after all this the powder would not even flow easily through a large funnel when returning it to the bottle.
The only superficial differences I can see is the bottle, where a label with the word ‘special’ has been stuck on the front which I have not seen before on a 250g bottle, and the powder doesn’t ‘glisten’ and is rather dead-looking.

I have a similar story to tell, I bought one of the little cardboard tubes of OB around two years ago and when this was almost empty I bought a 250g plastic bottle (How Much!!).  Straightaway I noticed issues with my matchlock pistol.  Whereas powder from the original tube would ignite almost immediately the new powder was very hit and miss and would occasionally stick to the end of the match and just fizzle!  It became so bad that I stopped shooting matchlock for a while and eventually took to using Swiss 1 for all my priming both flint and matchlock, yes it's 'slower' but almost 100% reliable.  I have almost a full bottle of OB and no desire to use it.  Incidentally, when I mentioned this to my suppliers they insisted that this was unheard of?
(05-06-2018, 07:42 PM)Blind_Pugh Wrote:
(04-06-2018, 10:42 PM)Mantonman Wrote: Hi Folks,

I have a similar story to tell, I bought one of the little cardboard tubes of OB around two years ago and when this was almost empty I bought a 250g plastic bottle (How Much!!).  Straightaway I noticed issues with my matchlock pistol.  Whereas powder from the original tube would ignite almost immediately the new powder was very hit and miss and would occasionally stick to the end of the match and just fizzle!  It became so bad that I stopped shooting matchlock for a while and eventually took to using Swiss 1 for all my priming both flint and matchlock, yes it's 'slower' but almost 100% reliable.  I have almost a full bottle of OB and no desire to use it.  Incidentally, when I mentioned this to my suppliers they insisted that this was unheard of?

Thanks for your reply Blind_Pugh. I suspect there are others who have had similar problems.
My supplier has followed up this issue with the importer who have in turn contacted the manufacturer. Apparently the new 'OB' special is different, the original "OB' had a graining of .190 to .224 mm making it a proper ball powder with an extremely small range of graining, whereas the new "OB' is a meal of .001 to .250 so clumping by high humidity and not dry storing possible.
The good news is that the old 'OB' is still manufactured.