This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedersoli steam cleaner
Hi Peeps

Anyone got one? Used one?

G.
have not got one as the price seemed a bit steep but having looked at one went and bought a small steam cleaner (unpressurised) and a long bit of suitable pipe and it certainly seems to get lots of gunge out, even when i thought gun was pretty clean just use it every now and then rather than all the time but was only £15 for everything so well worth while i think
What next I am afraid you cannot learn an old dog new tricks
Feltwad
Hey, Gareth,

Lee Shaver reviewed that steam cleaner in the July 2013 edition of the Single Shot Exchange magazine.   After reviewing it, he bought it saying he was exceptionally impressed with it.  He described it as being a pleasure to use without fear of getting burned.  He used the long tubes for the barrels, of course, and the short tube to clean clean away the fouling around the nipple area.

Another statement he made has to do with those who collect and shoot original rifles of significant value: "If it takes more than a few minutes to get clean patches out of it after shooting, that would probably be because the bore has microscopic pits that will hide fouling...  The steam cleaner is a perfect mate to clean a bore like that."  Otherwise those pits will grow and eventually ruin the bore.   Lee feels that anyone who shoots such rifles "should have one.  They owe it to the next generation of collectors to clean those original bores as well as possible."

He said it is well made and does what it promised and much more.  Since Lee owns and runs his shop he said he will have all kinds of uses for it in cleaning really cruddy guns thoroughly and reasonably quickly.  It's not a commercial stem cleaner, 40 psi is what it does, but it's sufficient and not overkill.  The barrels are hot enough you do not want to touch them (I love that) after you clean them. 

Lee indicated the cleaner removed fouling from supposedly clean rifle barrels. 

When things warm up and I start shooting again, I'll let you know how mine does.  (Based on Lee's review I bought one.)  I try to be very careful with my rifle bores when it comes to cleaning.  I guess you might say I'm a clean freak in that regard.  The steam cleaner will give me a much greater degree of peace of mind regarding my barrels.

Pat
hi Pat and Hello to Jonathan

Well if you and Lee recommend it I will look into it further. I find the £500 price tag a bit steep to say the least, but as Jonathan mentions, this is pressurised steam and this price is not unusual for high pressure larger volume units.

My reluctance to shell out such a large amount of money is that, like Jonathan I am getting really excellent results using a £20 cheap hand held steamer and a nylon tube to get the steam to the breach, it really does help with cleaning the lock interior as well.

I will ponder.

Thanks both of you for your knowledge.
Gareth,

I agree the price seems steep, but what is one rare original barrel worth on the other hand?

A very interesting experiment could be conducted if you know someone who has the P-Turbo Gun Cleaner.   Clean one of your original rifle barrels with your present method using unpressurized steam and then proceed to clean it again with the P-steam cleaner and see what if any additional fouling comes out.  I'm wondering, with old barrels that may have micro pitting if the pressurized steam isn't critical to cleaning those micro-pits?

If anyone gets a chance to do such an experiment, I'm sure many would be interested in the results.  It's a shame you live an ocean and an island away from where I live ;-)

Pat
Well Pat, I've taken the plunge and ordered one. I will do the experiment and let you guys know what I find.

Regarding the high price, a friend of mine in our shooting game once advised me on buying anything to do with our sport, "buy it once and buy it right" - sage words.

G.
Gareth,

Looking forward to the results from your experiment.

Pat

Hi Pat

Well the experiment is on, the machine has arrived - nice looking beast isn't it?

Fair weather window approaching on Sunday so hope to take the opportunity to get a match rifle dirty at 500 yards then have the joy of cleaning it, will let you guys know what the machine does.

Gareth
Hi Pat

Have to say I agree with Lee Shaver on this one, I shouldn't be surprised, Lee is rarely wrong on muzzle loading matters.

Its an expensive piece of kit but the pressure at 3.5 bar and the large capacity makes a difference compared to the cheap hand held steamer I used previously and Jonathan has referenced.

In summary, its not essential, its expensive but I am glad I bought it and will certainly get my moneys worth out of heavy use.

Thanks for passing on Lees advice.

Gareth