This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cleaning F/Lock pistols & B/Powder Revolvers
Has anyone tried using an Ultrasonic Cleaner and if so what detergent do you use???
Yes, with revolvers, just the cylinder and the nipples and sometimes other small parts.
With a drop of Fairy liquid.
It's very effective and speeds the task a good deal but you still need a quick brush or wipe to remove  all the residues.
Note that it de-greases very effectively so grease everything that might rust, again as soon as it dries.
I also suspect it might attack the blueing with frequent use: not sure.
Evelyn
One of our club members put his almost new Uberti Remington into an ultrasonic bath; it removed most of the charcoal blue and case colours from the frame. It almost looks like a well used original now.
Thanks for reply. I suspected it might remove the blueing eventually as it is an added finish rather than a heat treatment.
Any other info or advice will be gratefully received as purchasing
£90 of machine may not be the best idea?
These are very effective cleaners.    I have a small version and use it to clean cartridge cases.  My wife's jewellery.  And to clean corrosion off metal parts when restoring guns.   Bluing/browning and patina will be taken off leaving a surface on iron and steel that will immediately rust if not oiled.    While it works it is not quick and I wouldn't judge it practical for cleaning even stainless steel revolvers.
I have a couple of U-S cleaners, one with a heater. I use them for cases, but not for guns. The easiest way to clean a revolver is with a steam cleaner. Take the grips off and then steam everything---cleans inside as well as out. Then spray with light oil and wipe cylinder and barrel out with a patch. Single shot pistols are so easy to clean that it just isn't worth the bother of using any specialized tools.
Fred
Quote:Has anyone tried using an Ultrasonic Cleaner and if so what detergent do you use???
I have a small U/S cleaner that I use for watch parts, I did try it on rusty, dirty nipples from a Pietta Remington I bought recently.  I used a proprietary cleaner called 'Green Clean' from Maplin.
It fetched every trace of rust and carbon from the nipples and brought them up like new, downside is it also took all the blue off.  If you consider that Bluing is just clever rust then I suppose this was to be expected.  They are good but personally, I would keep them away from guns full stop.  There are dozens of decent cleaning solutions on the market that are convenient and cheap, (I use Birchwood Casey Black Powder Solvent - brilliant stuff).  I have yet to try steam cleaning although I have heard very good reports about it.  That's something on my to-do list!
Whatever happened to the good old fashion hot soapy water.
Feltwad
Quote:Whatever happened to the good old fashion hot soapy water.
Feltwad

Works for me.
Many shooters in the USA swear by Hot, Soapy Water. Some use the most amazingly corrosive mixtures, containing hyrdrogen peroxide and whatnot. When I cleaned my Zouave with Hot S. W. in the 1960's I always ended up with a flash of rust in the bore near the muzzle.
Well, I am a careless guy and just did not dry & oil the bore quickly enough, right?
Then I got a job as the metallurgist, for a company supplying specialty heat and corrosion resistant alloys.
The engineers at Proctor & Gamble (the major US soap & detergent producer) informed me that what passes for soap here always has a bit of salt, sodium chloride, in it to help it flow better through the piping (one also may help garden slugs "flow" better by sprinkling them with a little salt). Also, any excess caustic used is neutralized (since 1973) with hydrochloric acid.
In the most technical terms I can think of - hydrochloric acid eats the @$#%!! out of everything.
This combination of salt and acid was great for my employer, as we sold P&G a specialty alloy that would withstand this stuff. Think stainless steel on steroids (is this a proper analogy for the UK?)

So no, I would not suggest putting any commercial soap or detergent down a muzzle loader barrel.  Water. Plain, cool water. Available at a good price most everywhere. Then dry & oil with your favorite Magic Oil.