This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
50.70 Rolling Block Rifle.
Greetings,could someone tell me the Barrel twist rate for the 50.70 Govt Remington Rolling Block Rifle.The one I have has a 1 in 20 twist,I suspect it has been rebarrelled at some time.Been using a plain sided 470 grain paper patched Bullet with 60 grains of BP with no success.
I found this article on Single Shot Exchange:
http://www.singleshotexchange.com/handlo...for-a.html

It mentions a 1:42 twist for several of the original old guns, including some Rolling Blocks.   Another article said originally 50-70s had twist rates between 1:36 and 1:42, and that modern barrels tended to be more around 1:22.

SC Loyalist,Thank you for the informative article.I will digest it and experiment along those lines.
                  Regards.
Hi Mainspring,This is my 4th atempt to pass this thru' to you..For some reason the site doesn't recognise me .LOL..
Try again --Some time ago I had the use of a Huskvana 12.7
X 44m/m which i think was the old 50-70 Remmy.I used a 365 grn 2 canalure bullet with a 3/16th flat nose 70 grn of krankies course compressed and a slight crimp on th case to stop the bullet falling out cause it wasn't in very far..I used
both Bartram and ndfa cases.Prefered Bartram as the weremore easily reused -no splitting..The barrel was 6 groove deep rifling that was not 1/20 more like 1 in the barrel length but I didn't measure it as the rifle wasn't with me for long.. That load shot reasonably well at 200,the only range I shot it at.Hope this is of some help if it gets thru'.I tink I may still hae some cases and bullets if they are of any use..Go well,DEVA..
DEVA
Mainspring,Sorry about the spelling. I hadn't checked and obiously there is a fault on my keyboard..DEVA..
DEVA
Deva, Thank you for the info, I will explore along those lines.This one is stamped 50.70 and takes the NDFS cases.It also takes the 12.7 x 44R cases.The 50.70 and the 12.7 x 44R differ,the latter being slightly shorter and having a smaller dia head.As I understand it Remington produced 50.70 rifles to take both,but the 12.7x 44R would not take the 50.70 Govt cases,Possibly a cautious move that if U.S. Govt Ammo was captured it could.nt be used in the weapons sold to other Nations unless they modified the head clearance and the length of the Chamber.
Quote:The 50.70 and the 12.7 x 44R differ,the latter being slightly shorter and having a smaller dia head.As I understand it Remington produced 50.70 rifles to take both,but the 12.7x 44R would not take the 50.70 Govt cases,Possibly a cautious move that if U.S. Govt Ammo was captured it could.nt be used in the weapons sold to other Nations unless they modified the head clearance and the length of the Chamber.

LOL; I don't think we were that smart.  The 50/70 was loaded during the 1860's and 70's by the US government in the Allen 1866 and 68 rifles and the revised Sharps carbines.  Many Remington Rolling blocks were also chambered for that round and Custer used a Creedmore Remington Rolling  Block and probably had it with him upon his death. Rolling Blocks sold abroad (as I recall) were Spanish .43s, Egyptian .43's and 11.7x51 Danish. 

I don't have to tell you folks what Europeans where shooting in the mid to late 19th Century, but I doubt many were American made 50/70s.

BTW: when I was a kid we could buy all of the Remington Rolling Block 50/70s we wanted for about $5 per. Gunsmiths rebarrled them for .22 Hornet and such.  Today an original, which used to be thick are rare.