This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sharps 50/70 Carbine
Here is my little Sharps 50/70 Carbine.  It was shot once and not cleaned, so the rifling, while sharp, is rusted.  Otherwise the gun is in excellent condition.
[Image: GunStuff078.jpg]
Here's another photo: [Image: GunStuff081.jpg]
A little out of focus; sorry:[Image: GunStuff086.jpg]
Well, Tell us how it shoots!
if anyone has a sharps for sale i would be very intersted , even if the barrel is dead
Dead I,

Yours, like mine, seems to be a conversion from a Civil War percussion carbine.   Which means it probably served in two wars: yhe War Between the States and the Indian Wars in the west after that.   But, you probably already knew that.

Have you ever had the serial number checked to see which units it was carried by?

Pat
Quote:Dead I,

Yours, like mine, seems to be a conversion from a Civil War percussion carbine.   Which means it probably served in two wars: yhe War Between the States and the Indian Wars in the west after that.   But, you probably already knew that.

Have you ever had the serial number checked to see which units it was carried by?

Pat
Hi Pat: Yes, my carbine was a percussion carbine and still retains the old pill primer workings.  It was relined, probably by Sharps in most likely 1868/9 when they did a lot of that work.  Not all were issued and this one is in such fine shape that I doubt it ever was.  Bannerman sold them cheap in the early to mid 20 Century and a I suspect this was one of theirs.  Someone shot it and didn't clean it.  What a shame. 

After the Civil War the Sharps competed with the Spencer for military use and both were issued. Both were beat out by the trapdoor however.  Bloody Knife, one of Custer's favorite scouts carried a Sharps that looked like mine, probably also in 50/70.

I could have this gun relined, which would probably cost me $200 plus.  I'll have to shoot it first to see if it needs it.  Now all I've got to do is to get the proper bullets and cases.  It is a pretty thing tho isn't it.
I have not checked the serial number of this carbine.  Sharps, according to the book of the same name made about 100,000 rifles/carbine during our CW.  Again according to the same book about 10,000 GI's were allowed to buy their issue carbine/rifle.  They would have remained in percussion, so mine is not one of those guns.

I also have a percussion three banded Sharps rifle.  It's a .52 and is amazingly accurage for an old gun.  Bore, except for just a little roughness here and there is like new.  Funny thing is that it does not leak a bit of gas.  Shooting a Hall will curl your hair and eyebrows.  Not a Sharps.
Quote:if anyone has a sharps for sale i would be very intersted , even if the barrel is dead

I have seen original Sharps carbines that look to be in pretty good condition offered for between $2 and $6K.  Not cheap.  Funny, but I cannot recall what I paid for mine.  I think I bought it sight unseen from Dixie in 1978.  I'd guess I paid $500.  Strange I recall what I paid for most of my guns, but not this one.  I do recall writing a check, in 1971 to a fellow in a gun show for $360 for the Sharps rifle. At the time he thought I paid too much.  Not so.  But isn't that the case with most old guns?

Here's a better image of my 50/70 Sharps.  It still has it's pill primer and all of it's workings.  They just ammended the bolt face to take a firing pin and shaped the hammer face.  It also had a hole drilled into the face to accept a rim fire firing pin as well as a center fire one.  So it would go either way. I've never seen one converted like mine. Sadly the bore is rough.  I guess I could have it relined,but I hate to send off such a fine gun.  I don't trust the mail. So many guns are stolen. [Image: Axtell1877Sharps017.jpg]