This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I\'ve been spiked
I've been spiked :o<br><br>Went to clear the rust out of the touch but my drill stops just short of the bore on both cannon :o<br><br>I can only think someone has hammerred a case hardened sleeve down into the breech to block off the touch. This will require close investigation of the constriction before I start sawing so I'm cross posting and asking everyone who might know...<br><br>Have you ever heard of a gun being disabled like that ???
Robin<br><br>I have a lot on spiking and unspiking guns.<br><br>I think we had better talk this one through.  Can you give me a phone call.  I think you know my landline number.<br><br>Bill
W. S. (Bill) Curtis
Quote: give me a phone call.  I think you know my landline number.
<br><br>Looked through my old emails, can't find it :-[<br>robinh@combro.co.uk<br><br>
It sounds unusual that someone managed to get hardened steel only down at the base. Hopefully therefore it isn't too serious.<br><br>British spikes (mid 19th Cent) were two types:<br><br>Spike, Common - basically a 2" long spike of hard steel to hammer into an enemy's guns (or ones own if the prospect of recovery were no good!)<br><br>Spike, Spring - There were 64 different sizes of these in issue at one stage. These were for 'temporarily' spiking your own guns.<br><br>Over here (OZ) we get extra hard steel drill bits fairly easily, though maybe not the length needed. I'd be very interested to hear how you go & what method ends up being successful. Have fun! Adrian. <br><br>  
Quote:I can only think someone has hammerred a case hardened sleeve down into the breech to block off the touch. This will require close investigation of the constriction before I start sawing so I'm cross posting and asking everyone who might know...

Have you ever heard of a gun being disabled like that ???
<br><br>Robin are you saying a sleeve was forced down the bore to block the vent from the inside?<br><br>DD<br>
Quote:Robin are you saying a sleeve was forced down the bore to block the vent from the inside?
<br><br>Bill reckons I have to measure it before I jump to conclusions.<br><br>The touch hole is clear to where it should break in to the bore, but the bore is constricted for the last few inches and the constriction seems to be the unclearable bit.<br><br>I dug the rust out with a screwdriver and compressed air but my HSS drill bit just skates when I try to go deeper.<br><br>Compressed air leaks out through the touch, slowly.<br><br>There is anecdotal evidence that the guns were spiked.<br><br>If there is a sleeve, it will be harbouring detrimental rust so there is a real benefit to removing the whole thing rather than merely piercing it.<br><br>As well as measuring distances I think I might also try measuring for electrical resistance between the constriction and the barrel. If I connect to the constriction in two places and get zero ohms between them, I should also get zero ohms to the barrel ;D<br>
Okay, so how did the bu@@ers do that :o<br><br>A red hot rivet perhaps ???<br><br>[Image: spike.jpg]
Robin,<br><br>Looks like you are going to have to get that extra hard new sharp drill and get drilling and don't forget the cutting fluid if you can work out some way of getting down past the bit.<br><br>The picture certainly enables one to get a better idea of what is going on.<br><br>Bill
W. S. (Bill) Curtis
D'uh ???<br><br>There is no touch hole on the inside, with or without my mirror. And why does the rust pitting end mysteriously at the bottom end?<br><br>But if I run a rod down to the botttom of the bore, pull it out and lay it on top it lines up with the touch ???<br><br>Evenso, methinks there's something down there ;D<br><br>[Image: cbottom1.jpg]<br><br>[Image: cbottom2.jpg]
The pictures would presumably be views from the muzzle into the breech?  If so, there seems to be a sleeve of quite thin steel in there.  Or is it a cup ?  What does the face of the breech look like ?  Or is that what is visible in the second picture ?  Difficult to get a take on exactly what can be seen in this.<br><br>
W. S. (Bill) Curtis