This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cannon Barrel Proofing
Hi All, I am a new member. Can anyone tell me the procedure to have a miniature cannon barrel proofed at the Birmingham proof house.
Regards,
jaybee
Hi Jaybee

I would call the Birmingham Proof House on 0121 6433860 who are very helpful.  They will, of course,  need to know the calibre of the cannon.  They have a minimum charge which is plus vat (2010 list £30 + vat).

Good luck.
Mike at Boston
I'm in the process of making a .36cal naval cannon (7in barrel) which will need proofing at some stage. Does anyone know if said barrel can be sent to the proof house by post or is it considered a firearm requiring the services of a RFD?
Hi DesG, What metal are you using?
jaybee
I've only made a brass ornamental barrel so far while we check our club insurance to allow cannon firing. I haven't investigated steel for a firer yet. After years of bp shooting this is my first foray into (legitimate) cannons.
Still a fair way to go with the decoration and accoutriments.
[Image: 20150204_225120.jpg]
[Image: cannon.jpg]
Thanks DesG, nice cannon.
Hi Mike@boston, thanks for that.
The North-South Skirmish Association shoot cannon at 100 and 200 yards --- some matches at NIGHT! They have vast experience of potential problems.  What worries me is that some people may be contemplating shooting some of the many cast iron cannon (of all sizes), many of which were purely for decoration.Apart from the legal position --- firing an "antique" one would negate the s.58(2) exemption for a licence to possess -- this could be potentially dangerous, even with blank charges -- the WAD is a projectile as well.
The N-SSA advise steel liners in cannon.
Do please be very circumspect.
Hi JayBee
Can you tell me where you got your plans from as I am looking to build the same model cannon?