This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
U.S. 45/70 reloader
Quote:Custer was out gunned . try yellow boy

Custer was not outgunned.   While it is true that some of the Indians had repeaters they had little ammunition.  We know that because so few cartridge cases were found in Indian positions.  After they fired their few rounds, which they did with good effect, they charged and killed with short range weapons, tomahawks and percussion pistols and bows and arrows.  Estimates at the time said they picked up 20,000 arrows.

After the Indians killed Custer and his men they gathered his weapons/ammo and attacked the Reno position and kept up the attack until they once again, ran out of ammunition.  (My speculation.)

Each of Custer's men had one modern carbine and 100 rounds of ammunition plus a modern Colt's pistol and 24 rounds.  The Indians had nothing like that amount of ammo and most of them were using other than modern rifles.  The number of Henry rifles they had is known, but relatively few empties were found when they did the modern dig. 

The Indians had taken positions not far from the Custer hill top.  When troops looked up to mark a target they were shot, the Indians had taken cover and fired from 50 to 100 yards along a sloping ridge line that ran down hill toward the river.

Walking the ground is telling.  I've been there maybe a dozen times since my first visit in 1976.

Custer was not outgunning, rather he was overwhelmed. Odds were at least 3 to 1, and the Indians fought with a will.

Custer may have lived for 30 minutes.  I think a little longer.  After a while visibility was zilch.  Indians crept up close. Then Crazy Horse and his followers rode up around the rear of Custer's POS and overran them.  Custer may have committed suicide or possibly his brother shot him...save the last bullet for yourself was well understood.

While details differ I think there is some correlation between Isandhlwana and the Custer fight.

Neither the British nor the Americans believed that they would be wiped out.  The Americans and the British began the battle cheering!

I'll  have to go back and re-read my history of the British battles in Natal...I have a few good books.  I can't recall the details of the British massacre.

I have always admired the British will to fight. I believe they are a tough lot.  I am not sure, however; they could adapt to changing conditions/tactics, as, for example in our Battle of New Orleans. We handed the British a sound trouncing. 

The English stand at Rorke's Drift was admirable. I love it.  The Thin Red Line held and fought like mad.  Eleven VC's?

The Tommie's had and have guts.  However, when it comes to shear bloody battle battle I still believe that the Marine's fights at Tarawa and Iwo Jima trump most others. 

However, the Tommies on the Somme and Verdun!

I lived for a year in a flat on Edgeware Road in 1958.  One weekend my folks and I drove to Stratford on Avon and got a room at the White Swan.  We were walking round and entered a little store.  The lady who ran the place was kind.  There was someone coughing up stairs.  She excused herself and went upstairs for a while.  After a while she came back downstairs and said, "My husband, gassed at the Somme, and has been in bed since."

You have to love the British.