This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Acoutrements of an Officer 18C
Pre teen i used to read Hugh McDonald Fraser's books and Bernard Cornwell and other 17c and 18c military inspired fictions, as well as a few biography's of real soldiers.

Rarely i find the time to read proper books at the moment; which is a shame as i love reading.

Anyway; i was wondering if anyone had or would help me compile a list of all the accessories and accoutrements any officer worth his salt new joined would be expected or required to buy. This officer would be joining an infantry brigade / regiment; so we needed concern yourself with  what's happening in the royal navy, royal artillery, Engineers, or cavalry regiments

As i understand it officers purchased a commission more often than not; Bought their uniforms ( how many was usual? ) Horses? Personal arms... consisting of?

Hoping someone can help! While i know a good book will undoubtedly provide all these questions with answers i don't have the time at present to read. However if you would like to point me to a good book, i shall probably buy it for the future.