This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information (if you are registered), and your last visit (if you are not registered). Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

Once set, you will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
regal admiral with head of a dog.
Can someone tell me anything about this print?  It is an original. Measures 20"x24".  I think I've seen others like this, but not in the US. Frame looks original.  I found this in a  junk shop for little money.  I love it however.  I sense English humor here[Image: ArtWork004.jpg].    
I like it too but the uniform is of a French Marshal from the time of Napoleon III 1853-1870 and I have no idea of the identity of the Marshal the artist is having a dig at.  One would need to be a Frenchman of the period to get the point of this one.
W. S. (Bill) Curtis
Quote:I like it too but the uniform is of a French Marshal from the time of Napoleon III 1853-1870 and I have no idea of the identity of the Marshal the artist is having a dig at.  One would need to be a Frenchman of the period to get the point of this one.
I thought phido looked like he was from Nelson's navy.  I guess not.  French?  I'll have to do more research.  The fellow who owned it was a collector of naval art.  He died and  his daughter dumped his collection for pennies on the dollar.  I bought several of his things, but this is by far the best.  He cracks me up!  But I do tender him a salute, after all one salutes the uniform, right?